Graphic by Amir Tsarfati ('13)

Friday, February 1, 2013
21 Shevat, 5773

Parshat Yitro
Candle Lighting at 5:45 PM

There's No "I" in Team 

Anyone who knows me well knows that I love sports. I have been a faithful Pittsburgh Steelers fan for the past 30 years and am passionate about football in general. I have "adopted" the Miami Heat and Marlins as my basketball and baseball teams, respectively, but I'll happily watch any game, any time. I find playoff hockey uniquely exciting down to the very last buzzer, doesn't matter who is playing.

As a son, I bonded with my father over sports, and as a father I get emotional at the thought of passing that love of sports on to my son and daughters.

What is it about sports that I find so attractive, that draws me in almost magnetically? Of course, there is the love of healthy competition, the triumph when my team wins, the optimism for next season when my team loses. All those things are exciting for both players and fans. But I think the real allure lies in the fact that being part of a sport - even as a fan - means being part of a team. We all know that "no man is an island;" we all thrive when we are part of something bigger than ourselves. The Torah teaches this concept with the idea that "kol Yisrael areivim zeh la'zeh," that we are each responsible for being part of our greater Jewish community.

Like so many of the Torah's lessons, this one, too, is just as relevant outside the classroom. Participating in sports means being part of a team, taking credit for the team's successes and responsibility for its failures. Being part of a team reinforces so many of the life lessons that we strive to teach from the earliest days of preschool. Selflessness. Humility. Partnership. Sportsmanship.

At WYHS, we place great value on our sports program, our teams, and our athletes. We are, of course, so proud of all of their accomplishments season after season.  But most importantly, we believe that involvement in sports helps teach our students the value of teamwork, of contributing to and gaining from the experience of being part of a community.

This Wednesday night, I was blown away by the teamwork that I witnessed at the boys soccer regional quarterfinal game. Not only did our amazing soccer stars work together to compete at the highest level, but so many of our other students were there on the sidelines, the greatest fans ever! Standing there, cheering right along with them, I was reminded once again of the power of sports to help teach us values that we cherish. And I was - and still am - so proud to be part of our team!

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Benji Horowitz
Director of Judaic Studies 

Gili's Goodies
Send a SWEET HUG and Mishloach Manot to your family and friends in Israel
FRESH BAKED cookies, hamentaschen and lots more!
Also send Mishloach Manot to the IDF soldiers and put a smile on OUR son's faces!
When ordering, say you were referred by WYHS.

Coming Attractions
Feb. 3-5
YU Model UN

Feb. 4-8
Israel Education Week

Sat. Feb. 9
Alumni Shabbaton in Teaneck, NJ for Classes of '08-'12

Alumni Reunion Classes of '01-'03

Sun. Feb. 10
ACT @ WYHS
Girl's Fashion Show

Tues. Feb. 12
Parent Teacher Conferences-
2 PM Dismissal

Wed. Feb. 13
9:20 AM Late Start

Sat. Feb. 23
Purim Chagiga
8:30 PM

Mon. Feb. 25
Shushan Purim-
School starts at noon with lunch
Good and Wellfare
Mazal Tov

Births
Judith (Bensimon '02) & Michael Perez on the birth of a baby boy!

Eliana (Rosenblatt '03) & Micah Katz on the birth of a baby girl

Michelle & Zev Kilstein ('04) on the birth of a baby girl!

Daniella (Kowal '04)
& Uri Weil on the birth of a baby girl!

Dina (Turetsky '04)
& Jonny Dobkowksi on the birth of a baby girl!

Suri (Orzechowitz '07) & Meir Weiss ('07) on the birth of a baby girl!

Marriages
Naomi (Kastzl '08) & Elie Baratz ('08) on their marriage

Mimi (Atkin'08) & Corey Fuchs on their marriage

Engagements
Andy Surasky ('09) on her engagement to Jason Ast

Condolences
Ellen Chait on the loss of her step father
Heads Up!
3 things you need to know about next week
Girls Varsity Basketball Districts Semi-finals
8 p.m. Saturday February 2 @ American Heritage Delray

Boys Varsity Basketball Districts
7 p.m. Tuesday February 5 @ American Heritage Delray

Israel Education Week
A unique curriculum has been prepared for each day 

Graphic by Avi Schneider ('14) 

Graphic by Jonah Stein ('13)  

Just My Type: The Interview
soccer interviews
The ING Half-Marathon

Graphic by Cherie Landa ('15)

Written by Joseph Hostyk ('13)

Running the ING Miami Half-Marathon has over the years become a staple activity, a rite of passage, for adventure-seeking WYHS students. This year the WYHS Runners' Club formed its first team to run the 13 miles. Participants attended the Runners' Club meetings to learn running tips and techniques and trained together to prepare for the rigorous event. Ariel Bugay ('15), Chaim Bitterman ('13), Yitzi Griner ('13), Yehuda Phillips ('13), and I ran wearing our eye-catching maroon WYHS jerseys; Alana Reichenberg ('13) ran for Run For Our Sons, an organization that fundraises for Duchenne muscular dystrophy research. In addition to the intrepid students, WYHS faculty member Rabbi Houben also ran the half-marathon.

Team WYHS took the ING Half-Marathon by storm, and is already preparing for its next race: the Florida Super Spartan, which will take place in Oleta River State Park on February 24th. Interested students, alumni, and family members should email me at jhostyk@gmail.com for more information and a comprehensive work-out schedule.

The MDA Muscle Walk

Photo by Jackie Segedin (threeBrooklyn Photography)

On Sunday January 20, the Muscular Dystrophy Association held their annual Muscle Walk at the Palm Beach Zoo. The walk, which helps to raise funds for researching cures to thisdebilitating disease, draws supporters from across South Florida. One prominent group of supporters who attended was the numerous students, faculty, and parents from WYHS who came out to support Corey Reichenberg ('16) who suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Hannah Baum ('13) who attended the walk said, "I'm very good friends with Alana [Reichenberg ('13)], Corey's sister, and it was very important for me to come out and support her. The MDA does great things with the money and awareness they raise and I was thrilled to help out as much as I could." The walk definitely does support a great cause and the WYHS presence undoubtedly contributed. Thank you to all the students, parents, and faculty who attended this year and hopefully next year will be even better.
Media Center

Graphic by Jesse Slomowitz ('13)  

Click on the slides above to view the sports slideshows.  

Graphic by Jon Razon ('13) 

What Sport are You?

Graphic by Simcha Stadlan ('16) 

Concept by Bracha Browser ('13) & Sophie Rose ('14) 

Click on the image above to read this week's edition of Ashreinu.
The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Aaron Rose
Editor-in-Chief

Amir Tsarfati
Technical Editor
Chief Photographer

Jeffrey Herr
Layout Editor
Bracha Brauser
Creative Editor
Josh Firestone
Video Editor