(This Banner is actually clickable)

Friday, December 21, 2012
8 Tevet, 5773

Parshat Vayigash
Candle Lighting at 5:16 PM

Dedication 

When we celebrate Chanukah, the word "dedication" is never far from our minds and hearts. It is central to the story of the Maccabees' defiance of the tyrant Antiochus and his legions, and to their restoration of the Temple.

But "dedication" is never far from WYHS even when it isn't Chanukah! In fact, I would argue that it provides the underlying foundation of our school in a myriad of ways.

It begins with a dedicated administration and staff- the best colleagues I could ever hope to have! They are always willing to make the extra effort to work together and try get things right, even when the task is daunting and the way is unclear. Trust me when I say that the administration never runs out of challenges to handle, whether they are matters of placement, discipline, guidance, programming, budgeting, curriculum planning, or just trying to make sure that students and teachers have the best possible experience.

Our faculty likewise belies any misconception that educators don't work hard! Every day, period after period, they face a sea of expectant faces, students counting on them to be prepared in every subject and at every level they teach: to know their stuff, to be interesting, to be patient, to be fair, to be role models. Then they go home and plan for the next day's expectant faces, meanwhile preparing and grading exams, essays and projects. It is the dedication of our WYHS teachers (coaches, too!) which enables our students to thrive and grow, religiously and academically.

But our students also show dedication at every turn! I continue to be astonished at how well they handle our demanding dual curriculum, the long Mondays and Wednesdays, and the array of enticing extra-curriculars. I don't know when homework gets done, but I do know that it takes dedication to earn the kind of grades our hard-working students do, to excel in sports the way our team members do, to produce quality publications week in and week out the way our writers, videographers and graphic designers do, to perform well as our band, choir and drama students do. 

As Chanukah 5773 becomes a memory, I commend the WYHS staff and students for their own dedication. It is what makes this school such a remarkable place!

Shabbat Shalom,

Dr. Laura Becker 
Director of College Preparatory Studies

P.S. Here's the link to the Highlites Chanukah Music Video if you didn't click on the banner above: http://youtu.be/2nrv6iAg6wM
Coming Attractions
Sat. Dec. 22
8:00 Boys JV @ Hebrew Academy
9:30 Boys Varsity @ Hebrew Academy

Sun. Dec. 23
Asara B'Tevet

Mon. Dec. 24
1:15-2:30 College 101
5:03pm Early Dismissal

Sun. Dec. 23
Parents Invited to Class
12:30pm Early Dismissal

Thurs. Dec. 27
7:30-8:45 College Finance Seminar

Dec. 31 & Jan. 1
No Classes
Good and Wellfare
Marriages
Anosh Zaghi ('08) & Emily Danoff

Engagements
Sarah Bendahan ('09) on her engagement to Netanel Reiss

Condolences
Mr. Alan Berger on the loss of his father, Mr. Harry Berger

Heads Up!
3 things you need to know about next week

Early Dismissal
School ends Monday Dec. 24 @ 5:03pm 
School ends Tuesday Dec. 25 @ 12:30pm

Parents Invited to Class
Parents are invited to join their children in school on Tuesday Dec. 25 for davening and the first two periods.

College Finance Seminar
Thursday Dec. 27 @ 7:30pm
Paying for College:  Financial Aid Workshop It's Not Too Late to Start Saving and Start Planning!
Click on the image above to read this week's edition of
Ashreinu.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Aaron Rose
Editor-in-Chief

Amir Tsarfati
Technical Editor
Chief Photographer

Jeffrey Herr
Layout Editor
Bracha Brauser
Creative Editor