Friday, October 26, 2012
10 Cheshvan, 5773

Parshat Lech-Lecha
Candle Lighting at 6:25 PM

Freedom of Choice

When I was in high school, I lived with my grandparents in their Brooklyn apartment that was just steps away from my high school, Yeshiva of Flatbush. Life was good! School ended at 5:30, and at 5:32 I was entering the apartment, where the first course of a three-course dinner was waiting on the table. Best of all were Sunday mornings, where I got to sleep a little bit later and wake up to find the Sunday sports section resting on the foot of my bed. Ahhh, Sundays. Hours of freedom ahead of me, with nothing on my agenda but endless quarters of football and a double-burger at Kosher Delight.

I still treasure my free time--we all do--but I've learned something over the years. How we spend our free time, in other words, what we choose to do when we have a choice, often contributes to our growth more than what we do out of obligation. That one hour of learning at Sunday mishmar is meaningful simply because it is voluntary.  Staying late on Wednesdays for night seder gives students the chance to learn because they want to, not because they have to. Choosing to give up some of our precious freedom for a little extra learning demonstrates our priorities, what we deem important.

Thinking back on my Wednesdays and Sundays in high school, I continue to be impressed that so many of our students have committed to night seder and mishmar. Our classrooms and beit midrash are vibrant, even after hours. The boys and girls who participate in night seder look forward to it each week, and the rebbeim and teachers value the extra time spent with their students.

I hope that even more students will choose to attend night seder and mishmar in the weeks and months to come. I look forward to seeing you there!

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Benjy Horowitz
Director of Judaic Studies 
Coming Attractions

Sun. Oct. 28

BBQ for Bal Harbour & Bay Harbor families @ the home of Aaron & Tammy Attias

Oct. 28-30

AIPAC High School Summit   

Mon. Oct. 29

2:15 Dismissal

Parent-Teacher Conferences  

Fri. Nov. 2
7am Senior Sunrise Minyan at the Beach

Mon. Nov. 5
Senior Night Out

Thurs. Nov. 8
WYHS Drug Prevention Program

Mon. Nov. 12
Sophomore & Junior Nights Out

Sun. Nov.18
Open House 9:30-12:30

Wed. Nov. 21
Last Day of First Trimester

Nov. 22-25
Thanksgiving Weekend- No Classes
Good & Welfare
Mazel Tovs

Engagements

Shmuel Flemming ('03) on his engagement to
Ilana Nutkis

Juniors Jump for JEWnity

Graphic by Avi Schneider ('14) 

Written by Sophie Rose ('14)

This past Sunday, I, along with Shira Englander and seven other juniors, was privileged to attend the NCSY JUMP Leadership Seminar. When the nine of us finally got to Melville, Long Island, we were ushered into a large room, where we met up with fourteen other Modern Orthodox Jewish youth groups that were also participating in the JUMP program. We listened to numerous incredible speakers, including Phil Rosen, Duvi Stahler, Elliot Tansman, and the President of YU, Richard Joel. They spoke on a multitude of topics ranging from Governor Romney, to marketing skills, to NCSY summer programs, all revolving around the underlying message of what it takes to be a capable leader.  

We learned that each and every one of us has the ability to impact the world, especially the Jewish world, just like these four men have. Afterwards, it was our turn to test out our very own leadership qualities. 

We had to do several team-building activities such as trusting our teammates to describe the placement of jellybeans in the letters NCSY. Then we were given a challenge: create your very own organization that responds to a specific issue in your Jewish community or to a global issue at large. My teammates and I developed an organization that dealt with the growing issue of assimilation. Our plan? Outreach. We developed a project called JEWNITY, where students from our school would team up with Jewish teen leaders of south Florida such as school presidents, leaders of school clubs and NCSY, and many others, all with the common goal of helping to unify Jewish teens from multitudes of backgrounds. We hope that through exciting event, long-lasting friendships among all these different teens will eventually form. Additionally, we hope that this program will reach out and inspire teens who are unfamiliar with Judaism.  

Through my experiences with JUMP, I learned that becoming a leader is not necessarily easy, but nonetheless it is possible. A true leader is a visionary, a listener, and a fighter. According to one of the participant's mothers, "JUMP has helped so much, and [my daughter] is now brainstorming ways to act upon her desire to help her fellow Jews and have that incredible accomplished feeling." We all hope to put our skills into action: making the impossible possible and turning our visions and our ideas into reality.   

This Choice was Taylor Made
One Woman's Journey back to Judaism

Graphic by Ariel Haar ('13)  

Penina Taylor, Director of Shomrei Emet Institute for Counter-Missionary Studies, is a former missionary herself. After 17 years in a variety of Christian leadership roles, Mrs. Taylor discovered truths about the alleged proofs of Jesus being the messiah and returned to the faith of her forefathers. Now Mrs. Taylor works to educate Jews of all persuasions about why Jesus is not the Jewish messiah. Mrs. Taylor and her family live in the Jerusalem area.  

To hear Penina Taylor's inspiring message click here.

Sports Showdown
The Great Debate: Golf vs. Volleyball

Graphic by Amir Tsarfati ('13)   

What is your pregame ritual? 
Golf: William Parker ('13)
I practice hitting balls, meditate, and get in a good mental frame of mind. 

Vollyball: Kayla Petrover ('15)

I always like to listen to pump-up music so I can get in game mode.

What is the hardest aspect of your sport?
WP: Staying in the moment even after hitting a bad shot. It's always hard to refocus to get my head back in the game.

KP: The hardest part is probably having to keep active and alert while I'm playing and to stay focused on the game. 

What was the greatest memory or moment of the season?
WP: Making 3 birdies and then 4 birdies in a row in only 9 holes.

KP: Winning our first game against Hillel NMB was definitely my greatest memory this season.

Where/when did you learn your sport?
WP: I learned my sport when I was 13 and went to a driving range for the first time.

KP: I started playing when I was in 6th grade at Hillel Day School. I've been playing on my school volleyball team ever since. 

Any tips for students trying out for the sport next year?
WP: Definitely go try out. Have fun, because it is only a game. Anyways, we have 3 seniors leaving so we need more members. So try out for golf!

KP: At first, it might be confusing because it is a new type of skill, but with a lot of practice and dedication you will for sure get the hang of it!   

Colleges Captivate

Graphic by Josh Firestone ('13)  

Click on the image above to watch the video.

Blood Counts

Graphic by Cherie Landa ('15)  

WYHS proudly hosted its first blood drive of the year on Wednesday. Each student's donation can save up to 3 lives! A big Yashar Koach to the 42 students who participated, and hopefully many more will donate next time. 

Click on the image above to read this week's edition of Ashreinu.
The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Aaron Rose
Editor-in-Chief

Amir Tsarfati
Technical Editor, 

Chief Photographer

Jeffrey Herr
Layout Editor
Bracha Brauser
Creative Editor
Sophie Rose
Creative Editor