Friday September 9, 2011
10 Elul, 5771

Parshat Ki Teitzei
Candle Lighting at 7:14 PM

The Inspiring Power   of Judaic Studies

The only boy in WYHS history to be captain of a team (soccer, basketball and baseball) in all three seasons in his senior year is particularly handsome, a gifted student and very popular with his class.

Why do some guys get all the luck? Actually, this student did not have a dad in-state, commuted 25 miles to school, did not have the resources that many of his classmates had, and junior year wasn't his strongest religiously and academically.

Senior year changed everything. He fell in love with Gemara. He won a national competition, the Yeshiva University Bronka Weintraub Bekiut Program, awarding him with $1500 cash and $300 of sefarim. His success at bekiut motivated him to choose a yeshiva in Israel which emphasizes mastering mesechtot (tractates of Talmud).

His close relationship with his rebbeim, particularly Rabbi Moshe Schochet, played an important role in his religious development. Spending shabbatot at the rabbis' homes, texting them when he had a question, and keeping in touch regularly when he was in Israel were key elements in his religious growth.

Will Shana Bet be followed by University of Maryland or Yeshiva University? Only time will tell. What is clear is that WYHS is honored to have played a role in this young man's impressive trajectory.

This year I will be sharing with you stories of WYHS students past and present. They remind us why we chose WYHS for high school, as the recipient of our hard-earned charitable donations, and as the place we teach.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School 

Coming Attractions

Fri-Sat. Sept. 9-10

Girls Shabbaton  

in Boca Raton

Mon Sept. 12   

12:34pm 9/11 Program 

Tues Sept. 13    

3:30pm Chazak Tryouts     

4:00pm First Match-   Golf vs. Grandview

6:00pm First Game  

Girls Volleyball vs. Hebrew Academy   

Wed Sept. 14 

11:49am First WIPAC Meeting 

Post Mincha Blood Drive Kickoff 

Sat. Sept 24
Selichot Program
Grades 10-12

Wed.-Fri. Sept. 28-30
Rosh Hashana
No Highlites

Good and Welfare 

Mazel Tov

Elisha Bryan Lieber ('04) on his engagement to Anna Edery of Queens

Shira (Roszler '04) & Kivi Steinberger on their wedding

Jeffrey Herr ('13) on breaking Arie Hizkiya's meatball  record (62!)

Milestones

Rebecca Fuchs ('10) making aliyah
shabbatNews Brief 

Singing (and Bonding)

in the Rain

Junior and Senior Boys 

Elul Shabbaton

Graphic By Jesse Slomowitz ('13)
Written By Sruli Fixler ('13) 

Not even the unceasing rain could prevent the WYHS Junior and Senior boys from enjoying the exciting, uplifting and unifying shabbaton this past Shabbat. The unforgettable weekend was headlined by the cherished time with peers, as well as impassioned Friday night zmirot at the Tirschwell home.

Following davening at BRS, the students kicked off their Shabbat with dinner at the homes of their Rebbeim. The Friday night meals were replete with delicious food and Rabbi-student bonding time.

Afterwards, the energetic students poured into the Tirschwell home for the "MAD Tisch". As everyone passionately sang and clapped, the atmosphere became truly inspirational. However,  the night would not be complete without the digestive system defying display of competitive eating that Jeffery Herr ('13) put on, as he completed his historic quest to consume an astounding 62 meatballs! 

The next day after shul, the rebbeim generously opened their homes again for Shabbat lunch. As the day waned, the students' wholehearted singing at the Zaghi home for seudah shlishit created an ambiance that "left the boys unified and thrilled for the future excitement WYHS has to offer," said Eram Zaghi ('12). All in all, Juniors and Seniors alike will continue to look back on this Shabbaton as an extraordinary milestone in their high school careers.

BeitNews Brief 

Doughnuts and 

Divrei Torah 

Torah Affairs Kicks off with a Special Elul Breakfast

Graphic By Eric Ditchek ('14)   
Written By Saige Rosenberg ('13)

On Thursday morning, the members of the Torah Affairs Committee met together for an inspirational breakfast at the dawn of the month of Elul. While eating scrumptious doughnuts and drinking orange juice, the students listened to Chair of Torah Affairs, Yisrael Weiss ('13), deliver a moving story about the unbelievable power of true Jewish belief and determination. 

Yisrael spoke about a Rabbi and his students during the Holocaust, who defied the Nazi terror and kept their Judaism strong. The Rabbi asked his yeshiva students for their last requests before going into the unspeakably horrifying gas chambers. His students replied, "It is Rosh Hashana today, and all we want is to hear the shofar blown."

When the students entered the gas chamber, the Rabbi blew the shofar with all of his might so that his students could hear the piercing blow of the Shofar one last time. And with their dying breaths, the students' requests were fulfilled as the sound of the Shofar rang through their ears, giving them the sense of Jewish pride that can only be achieved in a situation as dire as theirs.

In this month of Elul, it is imperative that we appreciate our invaluable ability to hear the shofar and practice our Judaism freely. Let the shofar be a wake-up call for us to take action and utilize our opportunities, as so many before us have made the ultimate sacrifice to achieve in Judaism what we have so easily.

SLABFeature Story 
  College Confidential
Seniors Learn the "Nuts and Bolts" of College Applications 

Graphic By Jonathan Razon ('13) 

Written By Aaron Zimmerman ('13)  

It's that time. Every fall, the new, frantic seniors stampede the college guidance department. Between demanding meetings, piecing together applications, and finalizing essays, seniors tend to struggle with the daunting task of applying to college. That's where Mrs. Marcy Roberts and Mrs. Noa Bejar come in to save the day. The dynamic duo deftly advises each senior individually and successfully provide students with the help they need to prepare for their next chapter in life. In order to further guide the graduating class of 2012, Mrs. Roberts hosted an enlightening college admissions seminar this past week.

This was not the first time Mrs. Roberts had shared her wisdom with the soon-to-be graduates. Last spring, she hosted a seminar that focused on general topics and brainstorm ideas that pertained to college applications. Emphasizing the importance of finding the right college for one's self, Mrs. Roberts stressed that one should apply to "institutions where [they] will continue to be challenged intellectually, inspired spiritually, and encouraged to grow immeasurably." However, back then the process had barely begun, as the then juniors still had to trek through standardized testing, conquer Finals and AP exams, as well as secure requisite leadership positions that would shape their resumes. 

Unlike last time, Tuesday night's seminar focused on the nitty, gritty "nuts and bolts" of completing applications. The seminar addressed what was still within control, namely editing and perfecting those final applications "meticulously and thoughtfully." Mrs. Roberts also addressed how students could still improve their resumes. Additionally, she encouraged them to finalize their list of colleges, particular details of their essays, and overall transcripts in a holistic light. The multitudes of information proved useful and edifying. Applying never seemed so easy!      

After the seminar, the seniors and their parents left the room with considerably less anxiety. While Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Bejar invested much time into the seminar, their devotion does not stop there. For the duration of the process, they review every single student's application on a personal level to ensure every individual receives the proper attention they need to accomplish their goals. Also, both Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Bejar now join the WYHS students at lunch once a week to open the floor to any question or concern that student may have. All in all, the WYHS guidance department has exceeded expectations and continues to shape students' futures.  

Featurette
  Fresh Faculty Faces 
WYHS Welcomes New Teachers 

Graphic By Binyamin Feit ('12)
Concept By Shoshana Linzer ('12) and Rashel Maikhor ('12
 Up All Night
Students Attend the Inaugural Night Seder  

Graphic By Ariel Haar ('13)
Written By Jessica Hopen ('13)

Every Wednesday night after school, the sounds of Night Seder fill the hallways of WYHS with Torah learning and intellectual Judaic conversation. This unique program is a time where students can come and learn any Judaic topic, hear inspirational Divrei Torah and enjoy a delicious dinner with friends and teachers. This year's Night Seder is coordinated by Juniors Cori Dennis, Hedva Tirschwell, and Yisrael Weiss, all of whom play vital roles in ensuring the program's success. I sat down with the coordinators to hear some of the new and exciting aspects of Night Seder.

Jessica Hopen- What do you hope to implement and improve in this year's Night Seder?

Cori Dennis ('13) - I really appreciate everything that Adina San Solo ('11) did for Night Seder last year, and I hope to expound on her work and include even more students of all ages.

Hedva Tirschwell ('13) - I have confidence that everyone can learn efficiently and meaningfully on their own and gain a new sense of spirituality through Night Seder. It also gives everyone an opportunity to truly love what they are learning.

Yisrael Weiss ('13) - I hope to establish an organized learning group led by older students to help incoming students who aren't exactly sure what to learn. This should make Night Seder more fun and meaningful for all.

JH- What are some incentives of coming to Night Seder?

CD- The real beauty in Night Seder is the environment. It gives students an opportunity to thrive amongst others who are there for the exact same reason - to learn Torah.

HT- Although you do get points towards your Chumash grade, the main incentive is the reward of learning lishma and being able to utilize our love of Torah.

YW- You can't forget the amazing food!

JH- What do you love most about Night Seder?

CD- I love being able to come together with students from all the grades to learn and grow together.

HT- I love being in a room full of people who have chosen on their own to engross themselves in Judaic studies!

YW- Night Seder is an amazing program because it gives you the opportunity to learn anything that you're interested in, as well as get help preparing material for a class or test. Plus, it's a chance to hang out with friends and have meaningful discussions that you may normally not have the time or the place for.

JH- Why did you decide to become a Night Seder Coordinator? 

CD- I feel that my dedication and excitement for learning makes me a capable Night Seder leader. I will be able to inspire my peers and leave an everlasting impression on them. I can't wait for a great year of Night Seder!

HT- During my freshman year, I made it my goal to attend every single Night Seder. I have a profound love of Torah, and learning is extremely important to me. I am very grateful to WYHS for allowing me to share my knowledge with others through Night Seder.

YW- I think my position as Chair of Torah Affairs makes me the perfect person for this position. In addition to that, over the summer I was privileged enough to gain a deeper understanding of Torah, and I hope to be able to share this love of Torah with my fellow schoolmates at Night Seder.

Ashreinu

Ashreinu is a weekly publication of Divrei Torah compiled by the students of WYHS. Click on the graphic above to view the year's first edition of Ashreinu.

Alumni

Sephardic Savior

Alumnus Returns to Drum up Enthusiasm

Graphic By Jonah Stein ('13)

Written By Kelley Tripp ('13) 

This year, the girls' side of the Sephardic Minyan will be lead by our very own Sephardic Minyan veteran, Malka Hizkiya from the class of 2007. Malka, a graduate of Stern College for Women, is back to infuse the Sephardic students with her passion for Sephardic culture. As a WYHS student, Malka was an avid contributor to the sports teams and yearbook. Her favorite WYHS memory is the class discussions, and during her high school years, she davened in the Sephardic Minyan each day. Malka has returned to WYHS as a staff member and fondly recalls her deep and loving connection to her high school teachers. She is motivated by that close connection to, in turn, create a  special relationship with current students. 

Although Malka admits to not always being so interested in the Sephardic prayers and culture, as her years in WYHS went on, Sephardic davening became more important to Malka. This drove her to want to come back to WYHS to make Sephardic culture exciting, important and unique to each student. Over her tenure at the school, Malka intends to help the Sephardic students make their culture come alive. And so today, Malka davens with the Sefardic girls each morning and meets with them regularly at lunch time to get to know the girls in the hopes of creating a bond from which a love for Sephardic culture will be emanated.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Sarah Struhl
Editor-in-Chief
Ezra Kurtz
Senior Editor
Aaron Rose
Technical Editor
Shoshana Linzer
Creative Editor
Rashel Maikhor
Creative Editor
Jeffrey Herr