Friday January 6, 2012
11 Tevet, 5772

Parashat Vayechi
Candle Lighting at 5:25 PM

After 12 Yrs of Jewish Education...

Is the Year in Israel Necessary?

Ask anyone who knew me in high school- I was pretty focused religiously and academically. Israel for me was not "rehab", the "one last chance at inspiring me" or a year for me to finally "grow up".

So why a year in Israel? Aren't 12 years of Jewish education enough? Why can't yeshiva high schools do what the Israeli seminaries and yeshivot do? With four years of college and perhaps another two to eight years of graduate school and internships ahead of them, shouldn't they get on with their lives?

I posed this question to our graduates studying in Israel this year (see my itinerary below).A few shabbatot ago, twenty boys from the Classes of 2010 & 2011 sat around a table in Beit Shemesh at shalosh seudos, and each one answered the question "what has been the most impactful aspect or event of their year in Israel" .

The answers were varied and, frankly, surprising.

"Realizing that all Jews are brothers- one people"

"Being at the Shalit tent the night he was being released"

"It doesn't matter what one looks like-he can be a serious Jew"

"There is so much to Judaism-there's so much more to  learn"

"I have decided who I want to be & what I want to do in life"

When a child leaves home after high school graduation, it's not like going to summer camp. You are now an adult. You have to decide what YOU think, what YOU believe, and who YOU are. Despite only being a (frequent) cellphone call, BBM or e-mail away from their family and friends, these boys said that being in Israel in a yeshiva at this particular and powerful juncture in their lives has made a huge impact on their worldview and personal philosophy.

Where would you rather have these epiphanies? Surrounded by kids from similar homes with similar values, with teachers whose sole focus is your growth as a human being and a Jew? OR on a college campus with professors whose goal is to get their students to reconsider everything their parents and tradition has taught them, with peers whose values are radically different from yours?

"My child shouldn't go to college because they already went to high school". I have never heard a parent say this. The same is just as true with the yeshiva or seminary year.

My year in Israel left an indelible mark on me- it's still guiding decisions I make every day- 30 years later!

Every child deserves to have this experience!  

Yeshiva Highlites will appear next on Friday, February  3. Good luck on your midterms and enjoy your vacation! 

Shabbat Shalom,  

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell 

Head of School  

P.S.Two  WYHS Grads Were Featured on Fox News!!  

Click here to see a video about the business venture of our alumni Jeremy Hodkin and Doron David ('09). 

Coming Attractions
Wed Jan 11 &
Tues Jan 17
Study Days- No Classes

Thurs Jan 12,
Mon Jan 16, &
Wed Jan 18
9am Shacharit
Midterm Exams

Fri Jan 13 
12:00pm Midterm 

Jan. 19-29
Winter Break- No Classes

Good and Welfare

Mazel Tov

Marriages 
Avital (Abir '08) & Ariel Mintz

Anna & Bryan Lieber ('04)    

Shani (Matilsky
'01) & Daniel Motil

Adina (Tepper '05) & Josh Schwartz

Daniel Poliak ('06), the 1st WYHS Grad to publish an article in Tradition

Robin and Warren Struhl, Guests of Honor at the BRS Annual Dinner

Condolences
Shalom Ben-shimon on the passing of his father

Ileana Flics on the passing of her mother

Rabbi Benjy Horowitz on the loss of his father

Travelogue
Feature Story

Graphic By Jonah Stein ('13) 

Click on the video below to view an interview with the cast of The Fantasticks.
WYHS-Highlites-Fantastiks Interview with Senior Cast 

Featurette
The Wise King
By Gubran Khalil Gubran     

WYHS' First Arabic 2 class, led by Morah Shlomit Peretz, has spent the first half of the year using classic Arabic literature and folktales to learn the language. Click on the links below to listen to the class's favorite story narrated by the Arabic 2 class in both Arabic and Hebrew. The English translation and moral of the story appear below.

Once upon a time, in an old city, there lived a wise king. In the city, there was a well of water from which all of the city's citizens drank. One night, a witch came to the city and threw 7 drops of potion into the water, and said, "Whoever drinks from the water will become insane." In the morning, the people of the city drank from the water and became insane. However, the king did not drink from the water. The next day, the people said, "Our king has become crazy! We don't want an insane king to rule over us!" When the king heard their words, he said, "I want to drink from the water." The citizens of the city made a huge party and said, "Thank G-d, our king will become wise!"

Moral:

Just because others are acting in a certain way, doesn't mean that is the right way and that you should emulate them. What you believe should be more important to you than what others believe.

Arabic Voice Credits

Narrator- Etan Shachter ('12)

Witch- Razi Katz ('12)

King- Ezra Kurtz ('12)

Citizens- Ezra and Razi

Hebrew voice credits:

Narrator- Ezra Kurtz ('12)

Witch- Razi Katz ('12)

King- Etan Shachter ('12)

Citizens- Etan and Razi

College Guidance

Traveling this vacation? Bored during winter break with nothing to do? Go visit a college campus or two! Experts agree that the very best way to learn about different types of colleges and campuses is to visit!

Compare and contrast large and small colleges in urban and suburban settings. Learn what public and private colleges offer and how research universities and liberal arts colleges differ. Check out colleges in major metropolitan areas and those in college towns. Explore majors, see dorms, meet the Chabad and JLIC rabbis, check out the Hillel, and find out what it takes to be admitted.

Most colleges offer information sessions led by admissions officers as well as campus tours led by students several times a week. This combination allows high school students and their parents to hear from a university official as well as a current college student.

How to plan your visit: Go to the college website and click on "admissions" (or "undergraduate admissions" or "prospective students"). Then search for information on campus visits. (Some older colleges offer historical or architectural tours. Make sure you sign up for the tour offered by the admissions office and geared to prospective college applicants.) Most colleges do not require reservations, but make sure the college is in session when you plan to visit. (Different colleges have different winter and spring breaks ) If you do visit, sign in or fill out an interest card in the admissions office. Colleges like to know who comes to visit and some even weigh "demonstrated interest" by future applicants. Visiting is one way to show interest in a college. Don't be afraid to call the admissions office if you cannot find the information online or need directions or parking information. No need to dress up, and be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes! Bring an umbrella or poncho, just in case - it's no fun touring a campus in the rain.

If at all possible, spend Shabbat there! This will give you the best understanding of religious life at the school. During the week, people have different class schedules. Shabbat is when one can really get a true understanding of how large and how committed the Jewish students are. The number of Jewish students doesn't tell story.

What to do while you are there: After the info session and tour, take time to stroll around the campus, check out the library, the Hillel and Chabad, and the campus bookstore. Go sit in the cafeteria and "people watch." See if they offer kosher food - is it fresh or pre-packaged? Imagine yourself living and studying with the people you see. Pick up the student newspaper to find out what's on the minds of students. Read the posters on bulletin boards around campus to discover what activities are planned. Call ahead and schedule an appointment with a coach in a sport you play or with a professor in a field you may want to study. Ask if you can sit in on a class. Find out if there is a daily minyan and go see how many students attend. Even if you have no interest in this particular college, you will become an "educated consumer" and will know what to look for when you visit other colleges that may appeal to you more.

You wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a test drive. So go "test drive" some colleges and visit!

Ashreinu

Click on the image above to read this week's edition of Ashreinu. 
The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Sarah Struhl
Editor-in-Chief
Ezra Kurtz
Senior Editor
Aaron Rose
Technical Editor
Shoshana Linzer
Creative Editor
Rashel Maikhor
Creative Editor
Jeffrey Herr