Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article
Friday, September 3, 2010
24 Elul 5770
Parshat Nitzavim-Vayeilech
Candle Lighting at 7:21 PM
When I Grow Up

There's a great commercial on TV that features middle aged actors, clearly accomplished in their particular professions, sharing their dream second career profession...... "when they grow up."

Lofty dreams, inspiring aspirations, and life changing goals are what being a Jew is all about. Growth is our middle name.

Judaism takes the American concept of the Horatio Alger "rags to riches" story up a notch. We don't just believe that a person can rise above his humble upbringing to accomplish something great in life. We believe that every year, each of us can become outstanding in areas in which we scored pathetically in the past.

As annoying as it may be to students and teachers who want to get into the groove, there is a powerful message that screams out from this year's calendar- THIS YEAR I WILL BE DIFFERENT! 

Just like the clean academic slate our students have in their new classes, this Wednesday night, we all start with a tabula rasa in every area of our lives as we enter a new Jewish year.  

"IGP" signs are hanging up throughout the school. Faculty mentors will be meeting with each student to help them create an "Individual Growth Plan," with one academic, one spiritual, and one personal goal for this year. We'll give the freshmen a semester to acclimate to high school before helping them set their personal goals.

Like the TV ad, we all need to think about what we want to be when "We Grow Up."  I am a different person than I was a year ago. I get up early, exercise, and go to daf yomi before the first student walks into school each day. This year, I have new personal and professional goals to accomplish which I previously thought were beyond my reach. 

"You've Got the Power" is the theme that the Student Council chose for this year. Each of us has the power to change - to be closer to our family, closer to our Maker, closer to the person who we've always wanted to be when we grow up. 

Take out the time to set lofty goals for this year, and may the Almighty help us accomplish them.

We look forward to helping students in grades 10-12 get into this Yamim Noraim spirit with an entertaining and inspiring Selichot Program this Motzei Shabbat at the Aish Center in Hollywood at 10:30pm.

Wishing you a growth-filled year,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
Head of School  

Weddings Galore!
Mindy (Fuchs '03)
& Max Horowitz

Erica (Stiel '04)
& Eli Rothschild

Suri (Orzechowitz)
& Meir Weiss

'07 Classmates-
WYHS's 7th Couple!
Alise & Yoni Gold ('04)

Esti (Tokayer '07)
& Jake Asher

Bassie (Orzechowitz '08)
& David Silverman

Zoe (Looks '09)
& Ohad Housman
Coming Events

Sat Night Sept. 4
Selichot Program
@ Aish Hollywood
10:30 pm

Mon. Sept. 6
Labor Day
No Classes

Wed.-Sun Sept 8-12
Rosh Hashanah Break

Fri. Sept 17
Erev Yom Kippur
No Classes

Did You Hear?

Jeremy Gelbart
('05) on being interviewed on CNBC and Fox Business News about his business Ultrinsic

AP Score Correction
The first class in WYHS history that all earned 5's on an AP exam was actually Mrs. Greer's 2004 AP English Lit Class

Engagements
Josh Berdugo & Jesse Bush- '09 Classmates- WYHS's 8th Couple!

Births
Shoshan (Kowal '02) & Shmaaya Levy on the birth of their third daughter

Leah (Bensimon '07) & Dan Abitan on the birth of Yaakov

Doug & Director of Technology Claudia Cohen on the birth of a granddaughter Tamar Dayan

Condolences
Dr. Barry Schechter on the loss of his mother, Kevin ('09) and Caitlin ('12) Schechter on loss of their and grandmother

Dr. Benjy Tripp on the loss of his father, Elyse ('14) and Kelley ('13) Tripp on loss of their and grandfather

Rabbi Howie Seif and Mrs. Debbie Wiznitzer on the loss of their brother

I Love College...
Applications!

Process-Made-Simple
 for Seniors

By Adam Poliak ('11)
STAFF WRITER

This past Tuesday evening, the senior class and their parents attended the annual Senior College Application Seminar, officially kicking off the application process. Arriving from the airport after meeting with
Yeshiva University Stern College admission officers,  Director of College Guidance Mrs. Marci Roberts clearly delineated the ten essential steps in the admissions process, warning the students of the workload ahead while dispelling fears and worries about the potentially-stressful application procedures. 

A few simple, yet key pointers gleaned
from the seminar:

1. Be Cognizant of all deadlines.  Excuses don't go very far in the college admissions world.   Due dates for teacher recommendations, standardized testing score reporting, Early Admission/Early Action/Rolling Admission, application supplements etc. should be written in your planner, yon our phone, on your computer, on your hand...

2. Be Yourself.  The personal statement is intended to be, well, personal.  Teachers, parents, or ghost-writers may be able to compose a brilliant literary piece for you, but the admission officers will be able to tell, and they won't be able to learn anything about the applicant--you.

3. Be Realistic. Find the balance between overshooting and selling yourself short.  Don't deny yourself the chance to apply to a dream school, yet don't limit yourself to an 'all-or-nothing' mentality.

4.    Be Resourceful.  Do some research yourself,  but don't be afraid of asking too many questions.  Mrs. Roberts is here to help, and she generously leaves her lunch-time period open for those quick questions.

5. Be Prepared. Finalize your list of colleges by learning about each college's requirements and deadlines. Additionally, practice and prepare for interviews.

6. Be Aware of the financial demands of college. Explore all financial aid options.

7.  Be Active. Make sure to communicate with your parents, counselor, and college admission officers. Most importantly, keep your grades up!

8. Be Respectful. When asking teachers for recommendations, give them time write recommendations. Do not give teachers the form the day before they are due.

9. Be Courteous. Make sue to thank your admissions officers. A little note can go a long way.

10. Be Calm. The process may be overwhelming, but remember, that just like everyone before you, you are capable of applying to college.

freshNews Brief
Best Year Ever!
Orientation kicks off exciting new school year

By Sarah Struhl ('12)
STAFF WRITER

This past Friday, the halls of WYHS buzzed with excitement as students piled in for an entertaining and informative orientation day.

Sitting all together for the first time, the 9th through 12th graders cheered with enthusiasm as Head of School Rabbi Perry Tirschwell announced all of the wonderful additions to WYHS.  They then listened intently as Principal Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner and Director of College Preparatory Studies Dr. Laura Becker offered poignant words and wise advice about setting goals  for the year. 

A full-scale movie production starring fellow classmates and teachers supplied comic relief while re-introducing WYHS and all it has to offer.  The video stressed the idea that every student has the power and opportunity in school to pursue their passions and achieve their goals. Our teachers and faculty are looking to hand us the tools we need to grow spiritually and academically, to become outstanding people.

Following the school-wide assembly, students received their books and individual schedules before smiling for their yearbook pictures. It was certainly clear that the 2010-2011 school year will be an unforgettable one for all.

We all welcome the class of 2014 as seen above.

Cick here to see the orientation video!

freshMultimedia

Click on the image to watch
the orientation video

bbq
Picture This

Burgers & Bonding

Between the group hugs and photo ops, WYHS upperclassmen swapped stories of their summer experiences with friends and teachers over a dinner of burgers, hot dogs, and fries, all in anticipation of a fantastic school year.
bigFeature Story

Have No Fear,
the Freshmen Are Here...
With a bit of help from the seniors

By Simcha Adelman ('12)
STAFF WRITER

Each year, WYHS runs a Big Brother and Sister program, pairing up freshmen with seniors to help acquaint them with the new environment and ease the transition into high school.  A big brother/sister provides guidance in davening, offers support, and answers any questions the freshman may have.

The inaugural event featured an exciting pop-culture trivia game show.  The host played music clips and audio from different movies and television shows, which the players had to identify, racing against a rival big sibling and his/her little sibling in a contest to acquire the most points.

The final round featured Rabbi Moshe Schochet and Rabbi Avi Hochman squaring off against Mrs. Shira Englander and Mrs. Amy Horowitz.

Clearly, the Big Brother/Big Sister program is a great opportunity to allow students to become comfortable with their peers and teachers in a fun environment.

new

Mrs. Shlomit Peretz 

1. I am a very organized person.

2. I traveled in Thailand, Napal and Hong Kong when I was 21.

3. I am a relative of the famous singer Moshe Peretz.

Mrs. Gilberta Demiraj

1. I can speak 3 languages.

2. I have blonde hair.

3. My favorite food is pizza.

Mrs. Melanie Diamond

1. I earned all A's in my math classes in high school.

2. I can sing "Row Row Row Your Boat" backwards.

3. I can name the British royal line in order from the year 1066.

Rabbi Noah Zisquit

1. In my spare time I beat-box.

2. I once dunked a basketball.

3. I grew up in Hollywood, FL.

Mrs. Mary Markey

1. I failed my SATs.

2. I'm shy.

3. I skydive.

Answers:
MSP-1T 2T 3F, MGD- 1T 2T 3F,
MMD- 1F 2T 3T, RNZ- 1T 2T 3F, MMM- 1T 2T 3F  

clubIn Depth: Golf
Teeing Off
Veteran coach
anchors young team

By Andrew Wald  ('12)
STAFF WRITER

Could Weinbaum Yeshiva High School have the next golf superstar roaming its halls?

This fall, a new addition was made to WYHS's already long list of sports teams and is now taking the school by storm--golf.  After practicing for many hours in the burning summer heat, the  golf squad dominated their first match Thursday against Lake Worth Christian.  I had the privilege of asking Coach Robert Parker a few questions about the team.

Andrew Wald: Tell me a little about the team. How was it started?

Coach Parker: My son William, who just transferred to the school as a sophomore, and his friends were interested in a golf team.  The school offered to start a team and I volunteered to be the coach I am very happy to be able to help the young men improve and have fun while doing it.

AW: What is your background in golf?

CP: I've been playing golf for over 60 years and I have a true passion for it.  I've also run courses and met many professionals; however, this is my first time as a coach.  I expect both my coaching and the play of the team to get better with more experience.

AW: How exactly do the competitions work?  Who should we be expecting to see on the course?

CP: In our matches, five players play nine holes, while the best four scores are added together.  The lower score between the schools obviously wins.  Our top golfers are David Ostrofsky ('14), Jake Siegel ('12), Evan Dolgow ('13), Amir Tsarfati ('13), and William Parker ('14).

Spirituality  D'var Torah

We are the World
Parshat Netzavim-Vayelach

By Elana Kaminetsky ('12)

D'VAR TORAH EDITOR

Parshat Netzavim starts off with "atem netzavim hayom kulchem," clearly referring to the brit that Bnei Yisrael are entering with Hashem. However, the obvious question is, wasn't it just last week that we read in Parshat Ki Tavo about another brit? Is this brit really necessary, or do we really forget that quickly?

Since there is a new generation, their leader Moshe is leaving, and they are approaching Eretz Yisrael, perhaps a "brit-renewal" can't hurt. Nevertheless, there is a chidush to this brit. If you look closely in the pesukim, the Torah uses the world "kulchem," "all of you" when announcing the brit. This word is nowhere to be found in Ki Tavo. So what exactly does this one, small word come to teach us?

Kulchem conveys to us the idea of arevut, or responsibility. Bnei Yisrael are developing into a new entity- they now are one body. The brit of Netzavim is the brit of arevut. Bnei Yisrael are now Keneset Yisrael.

This pact where we are all liable for each other was Moshe's  goal from the onset. We must give strength to one another not to transgress what Hashem says.We see this clearly at the end of the few pesukim: "hanistrot laHashem vehaneglot lanu," "the secrets of Hashem is not my problem, but the public (what everyone else is doing) is." This is not being nosy! It is caring and being concerned that a fellow Jew is on the right path to Torah and mitzvot.

At first glance, this brit seems like a major debt. Initially, I was only responsible for my Torah and mitzvot, but now you're telling I am responsible for everyone else?

This is not merely a responsibility; it is an honor, a zechut, and a chiyuv. Growth always accompanies responsibility.

To better understand the concept of arevus and our role and obligation in it, there is a famous parable. You are on a ship and someone begins to drill a hole in the boat to jump out, but he is doing this in his private bedroom, so how does this affect the rest of the boat?"WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT!" And if one person is drilling under, the whole boat will sink.

This is our arevut. When you do good, everyone benefits, but this concept also applies conversely. This encourages us that we must be concerned about our fellow Jew. We must open our hearts and internalize this message that we are all responsible for the Jewish people. This can change the world.

Based on this theme of Netzavim, why do we always read Netzavim the Shabbat before Rosh Hashanah? As we are entering this time of judgment where we are all so focused on me, me, me and how can I improve myself, how can I do teshuvah, this Parshah serves as a reminder that we cannot do teshuvah when the rest of Klal Yisrael is hanging by the limb.

Furthermore, on Rosh Hashanah there is said to be two judgments: a general, collective one for all of Bnei Yisrael and one for the individual. The sole reason we rejoice after Yom Kippur is because we know we have passed as a whole given our arevut. However, although we are unaware of our individual judgment, if we allow our personal lives to be a part of the public and get involved, Hashem will save and take care of each and every one of us.

"Atem netzavim hayom-"You will all be standing together as one today, on Rosh Hashanah. We will remain standing before Hashem and with the lessons of arevut; we will be written in the book of brachah and hopefully merit to see the building of the Beit Hamikdash bimheirah beyamainu!
Ketiva V'chatimah Tovah!

Shabbat Shalom!

picofweekWYHS Alumni

SHERI ADLER, class of 2002, has spent the last three years working as the Assistant Curator at the Museum of Jewish Heritage--A Living Memorial to the Holocaust. She is involved in all aspects of exhibition design and development, including research of both Hebrew and English sources, selecting artifacts for display, drafting exhibit text, overseeing production, and managing budgets.

Sheri is also currently a first year student at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. Sheri got married in 2008 to Didi Saimana, a current MD/PhD candidate researching liver disease at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She believes that WYHS has given her lifelong mentors and friends, a love for Judaism, and a self-confidence allowing her to achieve her goals in life.

This weekly column will be featuring our alumni and their post-high school accomplishments.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Technical Staff:
 Andy Agus ('13)
 Binyamin Feit ('12)
 Josh Firestone ('13)

Jeffrey Herr ('11)

Darren Jacoby ('13)
 Jonah Katz ('11)
Rashel Maikhor ('12)

Aaron Rose ('13)
Shoshana Linzer ('12)

Justin Stauber ('11)

Jonah Stein ('13)

Writing Staff:

Simcha Adelman ('12)
 David Hopen ('12)
 Elana Kaminetsky ('12)
 Leora Litwin ('12)
Adam Poliak ('11)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
 Andrew Wald ('12)
 Matthew Wolkowicz ('12)

Ezra Kurtz ('12) Editor-in Chief

Joshua Stadlan ('11) Senior Editor

Mrs. Claudia Cohen   Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz       Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to claudia163@aol.com by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433