Friday, December 17, 2010
10 Tevet
Parshat Vayechi
Candle Lighting at 5:13 PM

I Am More Than a Test Score!

High Stakes Exams: Are They Fair?

Do standardized tests really mirror real life, or do they just indicate how well someone takes the test?

Day to day performance in the classroom, on homework, quizzes and tests is a much better indication about how much a student is learning, and how much he/she will learn at the next level. When we do admissions to our school, we put much more weight on report card grades and teacher recommendations than we do on standardized test (SSAT) scores.

On the other hand, there are high stakes "tests" in life. On the literal level, there are tests like GREs, MCATs, LSATs, CPA, licensing, the Bar, actuarial and board exams which students need to take to be able to enter graduate school or the workplace.

Adults make high stakes presentations to prospective clients, investors, boards, and bosses. Sometimes, landing a big contract or job comes down to your performance in an hour or two.

No Child Left Behind has ignited a nationwide debate about testing. Private school students' advancement or graduation might not depend on state mandated tests like the FCAT, but the never ending quest to design a "fair" test is relevant to our students as well.

"I am More Than a Test Score" reads the button that our Director of College Guidance gives each student in advance of the PSAT. The slogan is certainly true, but you must pay attention to the scores as well. Grade inflation and the overwhelming number of college and graduate school-bound students make it necessary for there to be objective, across the board criteria.

If you didn't score as well as you would have liked on the PSAT which you received this week (or the PLAN scores which the sophomores will receive next week), then do something about it! Follow the school's advice, whether it be reading more, doing your homework diligently, taking practice tests, a prep course, taking both the ACT and the SAT, and retesting if necessary.

If you naturally do well on these tests, don't think you are off the hook! You are more than a test score. Making a difference through involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities is still a must. Believe it or not, there are a lot of kids nationally that score a perfect 1600.

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell
Head of School
Coming Attractions

Mon-Fri. Dec 19-24
Storm Spirit Week

Tue. Dec. 21

GJVB & GVB vs. Hebrew Academy

Thurs. Dec. 23

BJVB & BVB vs. Hebrew Academy 

Fri Dec 24

No Yeshiva Highlites

Wed. Dec. 29

Seussical

The Musical

For women only
Click here for tickets.

Mazel Tov
Rebecca Issacs ('07) on her engagement to Michael Feldman of the Five Towns

Hadas Avisar ('05)
on her aliyah this week

Jamie Klestzick ('14) on joining the WYHS Student Body
Refuah Shleimah
Eliyahu Refael ben Zehava

David Shimon Baruch ben Rachel

Penina Bat Chana
psatNews Brief

Their Show Goes On

Students Learn about Incredible Character of School's Namesakes

Graphic By Amir Tsarfati ('13)

This past Wednesday, the students body commemorated the yartzeits of our school's namesakes, Mr. Jack and Mrs. Bessie Weinbaum A"H. In order to understand how amazing Mr. Weinbaum and his wife Bessie, affectionately known as Ginger, truly were, their dear friends Mrs. Mary Sue Donohue and Mrs. Linda Melcer shared their personal stories about the Weinbaums with the student body.

Both spoke of the tremendous act of tzedakah by the Weinbaums through their two million dollar gift to the school to be used for WYHS's future campus. Mrs. Donohue, the Weinbaums' attorney, spoke of how the Weinbaums did more than just blindly throw money at a charity. Rather, she noted how they made an investment in the future of the Jewish people.

Mrs. Melcer expounded upon this theme. She noted that the vision of the childless Weinbaums was to pass on their legacy through the Torah values being taught today at WYHS. The success of their mission was evinced by the countless students who could easily connect with the concept of selfless charity that the namesakes of their school had epitomized.

News Brief

Night Seder Never
Felt So Good 
Annual Shabbaton
a Spiritual Success

By Vice President of Torah Affairs Arie Hizkiya ('11)
Graphic By Andy Agus ('13)

Boys Night Seder is a wonderful experience because it creates a relaxing and friendly environment for students to get together and learn on their own or with rebbeim. The fact that it is optional gives it an additional boost that no school class can match.

This past Shabbat, the Annual Boys Night Seder Shabbaton took that experience to the next level. Participants were part of a weekend that was specifically designed to further inspire and motivate students. The shabbaton began Friday night when students ate at our rebbeim's houses and afterwards met up at Rabbi Horowitz's house for a tisch. The room was filled with inspirational songs and divrei Torah offerred by students and faculty.

The following morning the entire group got together at Rabbi Tirschwell's house for a light kiddush and in-depth shiur given by Rabbi Rabinovici, followed by a zemirot- filled lunch. The amazing finale to this awesome Shabbat was the powerful Seudah Shlishit at Rabbi Horowitz's house. Overall, the positive atmosphere and warm Torah environment made this shabbaton an experience students will not soon forget.

Featurette
Big Night with the Big Three
Juniors Attend Heat Game
for Class Night Out

Graphics by Sophia Rose ('14) Aaron Rose ('13)
Athletics Dept.

Girls Varsity Basketball 

Take Tournament by STORM
Determination and Effort Key Multiple Victories 

Graphic by Josh Firestone ('13) Concept by Sarah Struhl ('12) and Leora Litwin ('12)

Alumni Dept.   
An International Inspiration
South American YHS Alumnus' Transition to the US

Written By Andrew Wald ('12)

Graphic By Jonathan Razon ('13)

It is a common misconception that there is little diversity in Jewish schools.  What people do not know is that not only are there students in WYHS from all over the globe, but that they pride themselves on their origins, whether it be through leadership in Sephardigras or the Latinos editing the Spanish cultural magazine. 

Andre Jacobovitz ('02) is a prime example of this.  A resident of Recife, Brazil, Andre  boarded in Boca Raton to attend YHS (before it was Weinbaum).  Not only has he managed to adapt to new surroundings and a different culture, but Andre has thrived, studying in the Yeshivat Heder Maaleh Adumim, graduating from Cornell, and now working at Citigroup in their Corporate Strategy Team.  I had the privilege of being able to speak to one of WYHS's most esteemed graduates.

Andrew Wald: At what age did you move to America?  How hard was the adjustment?

Andre Jacobovitz: When I first enrolled at WYHS, I had just turned 15.  It was certainly an adjustment in the beginning - after all, I was in a foreign country 4,000 miles away from my family and hometown! But what I remember well is that everyone around me - the Tirschwells, my rebbeim, teachers, classmates, sports coaches, and so many families in the BRS community - wanted me to succeed at WYHS, and helped me to achieve my goals. I owe a tremendous amount of hakarat ha'tov to the entire WYHS and BRS family for "raising" me during my High School years, and providing me with the rock solid foundation that continues to support me until this day.

AW: How has WYHS prepared you for life, especially regarding dealing with the community and the regular world?

AJ: Everything that I learned while at WYHS - the rigorous college prep and yeshiva education, a commitment to Jewish values, the importance of communal involvement and tikun olam, the amazing role models I had in my rebbeim and teachers, the importance of the State of Israel - ultimately provided me with the spiritual and intellectual foundation that enabled me to continue to grow during my yeshiva, college and professional experiences.

AW: What role do you play in your community?

AJ: I am a board member of my shul (Ramath Orah in Manhattan), where I serve on their Finance Committee. I am also an active member of the Hebrew Free Loan Society Next Generation Board, an organization that provides interest-free loans for those in need in the New York Jewish community.

AW: Can you tell me a little bit about how you found your wife?  I've heard it wasn't the first time something like this happened in your family.

AJ: My sister Louise ('05) for a long time wanted me to meet her friend from University of Pennsylvania, Shalhevet Roth. I initially was hesitant, since I didn't want my little sister calling the shots on who I dated. Eventually I gave in, and soon after we started dating. As a funny coincidence, my parents were also introduced through my father's sister, so I guess there is something about sisters findings wives for their brothers in my family.

Climate Dept.

Frozen Freshmen to (Almost) Snowy Seniors

A Fresh Take on a Frosty Week

Written By David Hopen ('12)

Graphic By Justin Stauber ('11)

Shivering in ski hats and bundled in somewhat questionable scarves, students waddled into school this frigid week, eyes pleading with the sky for just a drop of snow. With temperatures plummeting into the low 30's, WYHS embraced a week of below freezing fun, chiseling the ice off cars in the early morning and frantically brushing off the dust on the seat warmer button.

The always fashionable girls of WYHS lined the halls with their much anticipated Uggs, rabbis rolled up in ski jackets and style, some of the more defiant boys ventured into the cold donning only their shirts, and a few students bravely broke out cardigans and argyle for the first, and probably the last, time.

As it bids goodbye to the cultural trends embraced by our Northeastern sisters and brothers, a school in South Florida can only reminisce on a life-changing week courtesy of mother nature.

Ashreinu

Click on the image above to view this weeks edition of Ashreinu.

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff

Ezra Kurtz
Editor in Chief

Justin Stauber
Technical Editor

Sarah Struhl
Creative Editor

David Hopen
English Editor

Elana Kaminetsky
Chief-of-Writers

Binyamin Feit