Subject: Yeshiva Highlites: Speakers, Shimmie's Surprise, & Storm Soccer Spirit
Reply: rpt@wyhs.net

Friday, October 23, 2009
5 Cheshvan 5770
Parshat Noach
Candle Lighting at 6:28 PM

Click on the images above to jump to the corresponding article
Why My In-Laws Are Upset

"We enjoyed Mrs. Kanner, Shimmie and Dr. Becker appearing in your column in the Highlites, but why haven't you been writing the intro to the Highlites?", commented my very kind mother and father in law.

I have asked fellow administrators to share with you words of wisdom, to highlight perhaps the most important strength of our school- a great team which works together.

In a recent survey done of CEO's about what skills students need to learn to make them successful in today's workplace, they rated collaboration in the top five. A successful employee at any level works well with colleagues, each complementing the other's strengths.

Schools do not traditionally teach collaboration. Students do homework, take tests, and create papers individually. We all remember projects which the teacher made us work on with someone else. In general, one person ended up doing more of the work, and he or she felt it was unfair.

How do we bridge this gap between what a student feels is fair in school and what he or she will need to succeed in life? There are a number of ways that we teach teamwork and collaboration.

One of our bedrock philosophies in athletics is teamwork. Over sixty percent of our students play at least one team sport at WYHS. I have found that our most successful teams have been the ones that worked together, not those that had a superstar or two. The same is true for our drama program.

There are two Class Presidents for each grade and two Student Council Presidents.  Besides wanting to have a voice for each gender (it's one boy and one girl), we are trying to teach collaboration to our student leadership.

Chavrutah learning, which students do with increasing frequency as they move into higher classes and upper grades, is a team effort. In the past ten years, the general educational community has realized the value of "cooperative learning". Though it requires a certain amount of maturity, nothing teaches collaboration better than chavrutah.

I have tried to create a culture of collaboration by example. I spend most of the day at the conference table (as opposed to my desk), meeting with groups of people trying to devise the most inspiring and challenging program that we can. May our school community continue to work together to keep taking our WYHS to new heights.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School

Letters to the Editor
Do you have any comments or suggestions regarding this edition of Yeshiva Highlites?

Email us at
HIGHLITES@WYHS.NET
with your thoughts

Feedback will be featured in upcoming editions of the Highlites.

Next Week
Sat. Night
October 24
9 PM Freshmen Parent Melavah Malkah at
the Tirschwells

Tuesday
October 27
Parent Teacher Conferences

Junior College Kickoff 8pm

Wednesday
October 28
Senior Night Out

Thursday
October 29
In school Eitan Katz Concert

Good & Welfare
Mazel Tov
Boys Soccer Team on their trophy for 2nd Place in their division

Refuah Shleima
Simcha bat Luna

Nachum Chaim ben Yehudit Rivka

Dovid Menachem Chaim Halevi ben Esther Bayla

Condolences
Linda Melcer on the loss of his mother

News Brief
WYHS:
Where Chesed
Abounds

By Sarah Struhl ('12)
STAFF WRITER

This Tuesday during lunch, many students attended a presentation from Chai Lifeline, an organization that helps sick Jewish children with cancer and other genetic diseases. At the meeting a video was shown which briefly described all of the amazing work that Chai Lifeline does to ensure that ill children live as happy and as normal of a life as possible.

After the poignant video, the students were informed of the numerous ways that they can get involved. Whether it's something big such as Chai Lifeline's summer camp, Camp Simcha , or just making weekly visits and challah drop-offs to a family who can use a smiling and optimistic face, your support can really make a difference in their lives. Students were overwhelmed with excitement and could not wait to be a part of the incredible chesed that Chai lifeline does daily.

News Brief
Learning on the Weekend?!

Sunday Mishmar @ WYHS

By Simcha Adelman ('12)
STAFF WRITER

WYHS's Boys Mishmar is held every Sunday morning from eight to ten in Boca Raton, Hollywood, and North Miami Beach. Mishmar starts with an eight o'clock minyan followed immediately by breakfast. Cereal is the norm, but in honor of our first mishmar of the year held this past Sunday, Rabbi Horowitz brought scrumptious doughnuts that sweetened the event even more. After breakfast the group starts learning entirely l'shem shamayim without any tests, homework, or quizzes. The boys have a memorable time learning with their Rabbis (and of course the extra credit is a nice bonus). Mishmar is a valuable program and boys look forward to  every Sunday, even if it the program is so early in the morning.

kumzitzNews Brief
Political Update

Dr. Luchins Discusses
the Future of
American-Israeli Relations

By Ezra Kurtz ('12)
STAFF WRITER

Thursday afternoon, the students of WYHS were treated to a fascinating presentation by Dr. David Luchins. Dr. Luchins, who is the Chair of Political Sciences at Touro College, addressed the intricate political relationship that has existed between the United Stares and Israel since its inception, with emphasis on the steps President Obama has taken to support Israel.

For instance, Dr. Luchins explained the major significance of President Obama's address in Cairo, in which he gave the strongest and only defense of Israel ever in an Arab capital. Dr. Luchins also gave examples of how the two governments have worked together in the past, and clarified each country's stance and political interest in Iran.

This enlightening lecture truly showed the students the vitality of an unbreakable American-Israeli political bond.

kumzitzNews Brief
Medieval Madness

Dr. Abramson's
Guest History Lecture

By Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
CHIEF OF STAFF

This past Friday, the senior class was privileged to hear Dr. Abramson, a respected historian and Dean of Touro South, lead a lecture and discussion on the burning of the Rambam's (Maimondes) books

Enthralled by the complexity of the issue, the seniors were active listeners as Dr. Abramson discussed in detail the multitude of reasons why Jews prompted Christians to begin burning Jewish books - a ritual the Christians would be sure to continue.  Following the event, both students and faculty present came away with a greater understanding of the relationship between Jewish leaders of the Middle Ages as well as their relationship with the Church.  Unquestionably, everybody looks forward to having more opportunities to learn from Dr. Abramson.

bloodFeature Story
Call in the Weatherman;
Here Comes the Storm!

The Boys Soccer Team District Games

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

SPORTS LIAISON & SENIOR EDITOR

This past week at WYHS was Storm mania! With the boys soccer team playing in the districts, WYHS students really showed their Storm spirit. Everywhere you looked you saw maroon and gray; in fact, Head of School Rabbi Perry Tirschwell remarked that this week he saw "the most school spirit in WYHS history."

At Tuesday's game, tons of students and teachers came decked out in Storm colors and armed with signs to cheer on our team. Congratulations to the team on their stunning 6-0 Tuesday victory, which took them to the next level of districts. Lior Goldstein's ('10) three goals, Arie Grunberg's ('10) strong defense, and Andy Agus's ('13) remarkable goalie skills were key assets to the win.

On Thursday, WYHS students participated in a competition: whichever grade wore the most Storm colors to support the soccer team in Districts would win a prize. Congratulations to the seniors for going all out with their Storm gear, and finding creative ways to incorporate maroon and gray into their outfits.

At the second District game on Thursday, again, Storm fans--students, teachers, and families--showed their support for the Storm. Although ultimately the boys did not win, they played extremely well. A fan from the opposing team even remarked that the WYHS boys "played their best until the very end."

Kudos to all the dedicated fans who not only came to cheer on the Storm on Tuesday and Thursday, but also stood through the rain to do so. Congratulations to the boys soccer team on not only an amazing season, but on winning a very impressive second place in Districts--the best a team has ever done in WYHS history!

volleyFeaturette
Havin' a Ball
Meet the WYHS Girls Volleyball Team

alumniIn Focus
A Birthday Breakfast
Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan &
Shimmie's Birthday Celebration

By Elana Kaminetsky ('12)
STAFF WRITER

On Monday, all two-hundred forty-two students gathered together, after a long, but inspirational davening, for a beautiful breakfast honoring Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan.

Not only was the room decorated with blue and yellow cups, plates, and napkins, but there were also many balloons and signs reading "Happy 40th Birthday," a tribute to Shimmie Kaminetsky's big 4-0. Celebrating our executive director's birthday only added to the joy of the Rosh Chodesh breakfast. As he entered the room, everyone began to sing "happy birthday" (while he tried to look surprised), and the program continued with a delicious cake and beautiful speech given by Rabbi Tirschwell informing us just how great 'Shimmie' is. 

Considering I live so close to him, I got the inside scoop of what is really going on behind the scenes...

Elana- What did you think about your birthday celebration on Rosh Chodesh?
Shimmie- Totally unnecessary, very thoughtful, and enjoyable- I even enjoyed my first piece of cake since Rosh Hashannah.

Elana- Were you surprised or did someone blow the secret?
Shimmie- I started getting hints fifteen minutes before when walking through the ballroom (and I saw the huge sign and people laughing), but I did not know prior to then.

Elana- How does it really feel to be 40, as Rabbi Tirschwell mentioned, please G-d, you only have 80 years left?
Shimmie- It feels great. Although I have much more to learn and accomplish in life, G-d has been good to me in providing me with a beautiful family (especially you), a wonderful job at WYHS, and great friends and colleagues.

Elana- Now for the technical aspects...tell us about your position in the school.
Shimmie- I am in charge of all non-educational aspects of the school including finances, fundraising, facilities, and transportation, just to name a few.

Elana- What compelled you to move down here and take this job?
Shimmie- I have known Rabbi Tirschwell for close to thirty years. He, and later Rabbi Brander, encouraged me to move to Boca Raton over a two year period. I finally decided to move down south, to put all of my efforts into my job at WYHS. It has been a great move for me and my entire family.

Multimedia

Picture
of the Week

Pictured: While the senior boys wore wild and crazy mismatched clothing, the senior girls showed just how SUPER the class of 2010 is by dressing up as their favorite superheroes.
picofweekCulture  WYHS Poetry & Prose

Do you marvel at the written word, relishing its beauty and strength?

Do you express yourself best through verse and figurative language?

If so, WYHS's original literary journal, Allie's Mitt, is already calling your name.  Whether you're a poet-laureate from birth or an aspiring author, Allie's Mitt offers you a great opportunity for you to hone your writing skills and to publish your works. 

If you're interested, please contact the editor in chief of the literary journal, Keren Marks ('10), at kerenmarks@gmail.com.

Featured below is a poem originally published in the 2009 edition of Allie's Mitt.

-------------------
The Last Recital

By Daniella Eson ('11)

Freezing.
Staring at the
Darkness. Imagining
What could have been.
Wiping the wetness off my chin, I
Shiver as if already trapped in the
Ice cold ocean under the Titanic.
I hear voices
Screaming;
My ears begin to throb like a beating
Heart.
What to do?
Where to begin?

I sit there and begin to play
Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin.
From the dark musky
Forest of phantoms, to the
Flowered golden meadows of the
Sonatas' sweet song.
My head is spinning like a Ferris wheel,
The saddening silence forces me into
Focus; the crashing lights hit my face.
I am grabbed, shaken, hurt.
My breath taken away after each note.
My lungs are stinging in a desperate attempt, as if
Holding my breath under the turbulent Water.
My fingers glide across the grand piano
Like a falling avalanche-
Aching.

The Ebony and Ivory keys look like the
Path I shall take, blending together like the
Gray of the sky.
Afraid.
The music slows
Coming to an end,
I stop.
They applaud.
I weep.

Spirituality  D'var Torah

United We Stand...
Against G-d?

Parshat Noach

Rebecca Fuchs ('10)

D'VAR TORAH COORDINATOR

In this week's parshah, after Hashem utterly destroys all existence on earth, saving only Noah and those with him on the ark, mankind once again sins. They have just been witness, or at least their immediate ancestors, who are still alive to testify, have been witness to the greatest destruction of all time. The reason for the flood was well-known and yet they wished so deeply to rebel against G-d, that they did so despite the obviously possible punishment.

This seems completely ridiculous that mankind can be so foolish and still continue to rebel. One would expect G-d to be completely outraged at such unabashed disregard of His power. Mankind not only dismisses G-d's ability to punish, but goes so far as to imagine that they could overthrow Him! Clearly they have not learned the lesson intended by the flood and should be punished similarly. Yet their punishment seems to fall very short in regards to their actual crime.

Rashi poses the question, "Who was worse; the generation of the flood, or the generation of the dispersion?" One would automatically assume this generation. The generation of the flood, according to pshat, was destroyed because of thievery! Sure, stealing is immoral but is it really punishable by death? Meanwhile, the next generation, whose actions of directly rebelling against G-d seem much more severe, is merely dispersed as a result of its sin.

Why is their punishment so seemingly lenient? What makes them better than their predecessors?

The difference between the two generations is not their relationship with G-d, but their relationship with each other. Those in the first generation were thieves, fighting with one another, and living selfishly. The generation of the dispersion, however, was unified and lived with a common purpose, albeit misguided. In such high regard does G-d hold peace between mankind, that He spared them from destruction. Their true, and almost greater punishment, is being dispersed, causing them to lose this unity which they had sadly used negatively. Although the generation of the dispersion was wrong in their intentions, we can still learn an incredible lesson from them.

Had that generation used their achdut (unity) to serve G-d, and to create a better society, the world would be a completely different place today. Dignitaries dream of a unified world, in which war is nonexistent, a world that seems completely impossible at the moment. Perhaps, complete world-peace is a bit hopefully and unrealistic, but peace between brothers does not seem so unattainable in comparison. All Jews are inherently connected to one another, and if all of our nation could overcome our differences and have true Ahavat Yisrael, unlike the generation at the time of the Temple's destruction, we could bring the ultimate peace. May we, the nation of Hashem, come together and through our unity, be reestablished as a leading power in the world, and ultimately bring the final Geulah.

Shabbat Shalom!

Next Week at WYHS

The Yeshiva Highlites Staff
Joshua Stadlan ('11)
Editor in Chief
LeeLee Borzak ('10)
Senior Editor & Sports Liaison
Michael Feit ('10)
Head of Photo Editing
Paul Hess ('11)
Creative Editor
Jacob Levenson ('11)
Syntax Editor
Aaron Rose ('13)
Graphic Designer
Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10)
Chief of Staff
David Petrover ('10)
Technical Editor
David Spektor ('10)
Head of Programming
Jonah Katz ('11)
Graphic Designer
Binyamin Feit ('12)
Video Liaison
Justin Stauber ('11)
Graphic Designer
Staff Writers

Simcha Adelman ('12)
      David Hopen ('12)
      Elana Kaminetsky ('12)         
      Raziel Katz ('12)
      Ezra Kurtz ('12)
Leora Litwin ('12)
Rashel Maikhor ('12)
Sarah Struhl ('12)
Andrew Wald ('12)
Mathew Wolkowicz ('12)

Mrs. Claudia Cohen    
Faculty Advisor
Rabbi Allan Houben    Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz           Proofreader

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.
Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433