The Coolest Yeshiva Highlites Ever
$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring& Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Shoftim
Friday, Sept. 5, 2008

rpt

Less Print, More Filling

Hamsters in Microwaves. That's the video that people forward to their friends in the YouTube generation. Over the top, edgy, and entertaining. That's what we expect.

Welcome to the New Yeshiva Highlites. Highlites will be funnier, more insightful, and a quicker read. The Comics, Blogs, Quick Video Clip, Pop Quiz, "What's In, What's Out, & What's 5 Minutes Ago" are just the beginning.

Always strive to be better. Don't rest on your laurels. Be the best you can be. That's what we at WYHS are all about. That's we've done with Highlites.

A big shout out to super talented Highlites staff (see the pic and credits at the end) for working tirelessly to make these changes. Each week, new, fantastic features will grace your inbox.

Is there going to be school next week?- There's a storm abrewing! Actually, three. Remember: WYHS decides if school is on at 6:00am in the morning- not before. If we're canceling, we'll send out an e-mail, and post a message at our Hurricane Hotline (866.346.7723). Who's afraid of storms with wimpy names like Hanna, Ike, Josephine anyway?

Fasten your seatbelts! Students, alumni, parents, faculty and friends: the year is off to a fantastic start, and you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Head of School

MUST See TV!

Motzei Shabbos Live
Boys Soccer 9:00pm @JCC
Girls Volleyball 9:30pm @ RASG

First Sunday Mishmar
This week, at a Location Near You

Get Political on 9/11
Decision '08 Program
Wednesday 7th Period

...News Flash...

1 Day, 3 Weddings
Jenna (Bienenfeld '05) & Sam Goldstein
Shalhevet & Andre Jacobovitz ('02)
Melissa (Marder '04) & Josh Glaser

Bar Mitzvah Squared
"The Rebbe" Rabbi Ben & Mrs. Rebecca Sugerman

Our Prayers Are With
Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly
Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss

Commitment, Small Steps,

& Batman?

The Teshuva Campaign is Underway

"Commitments are scary," said one senior girl. With the double workload and the long hours, it's hard to think about taking on anything else. That was my first reaction when I looked at the pledge sticker for the Teshuva campaign. But, as I thought back to Rabbi Houben's speech, I realized the importance of every action. Change doesn't happen overnight, but maybe one push in the right direction is enough to get the ball rolling and hopefully it will snowball into something bigger.

"It's all about small steps," commented a junior member of student council. Setting manageable goals is the secret to success in anything. Our hope is that we can all push ourselves a little beyond where we are now in our personal Torah learning, Avoda (Tefilla and Brachot), and Chesed.

Batman? As a senior boy listening to speeches, they tend to blend together. However, when Rabbi Houben quoted that line from Batman "It is not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you," it got my attention. It really made me think about how I act and what that means about who I am. Besides, it's nice to know that the rabbis are as knowledgeable in pop culture as they are in Torah.

I love Dunkin Donuts coffee, so right away the pledge sticker caught my eye. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to attach it so that I wouldn't forget what I had just committed to do. I ended up putting it in my planner; if nothing else, it made Ms. Sardano happy when I showed it to her during study skills.

Click here to leave feedback on this article

WYHS

Goes Commando

This Tuesday, WYHS was privileged to hear an "Israel Update" from someone with a very close connection to Israel-Uri Turk ('03), a paratrooper in the Israel Defense Forces.

Uri and WYHS alumni Hudi Moscowitz, Ori Matilsky ('06), and Moshe Genet ('06), are currently serving in the IDF.

We asked our men in uniform to share with us the...

Top Ten

Slang Terms

in the Israeli Army

moshe_gen
Moshe Genet
Radio code word for food. חמין וטעים 1
Armed individual, presumed enemy מלוכלך 2

Literally "until when."
Illegal to say unless you have 4 months left

עד מתי 3

uri and hudi
Uri Turk and Hudi Moskowitz

When a grenade is thrown in your direction, you yell אכר and run. אכר 4
"Pharaohs" - Radio Code Word Egyptians פרעוני ם 5
Paratroopers- the coolest and best soldiers in the world צנחנים 6
When the army is getting you down שבוג 7
uri_mat
Ori Matilsky
Pushup position. It is found in most of basic training. מצב שתיים 8
"Chang" - someone really young in the army. צ"נג 9
Someone who does everything by the book. No one likes people who are צהב. צהב 10

Click Here to Comment on This Article

Storm Volleyball

Wins Big

WYHS athletes are notorious for putting in tremendous amounts of effort and displaying amazing team work. The Girls Volleyball team is no different. They have been practicing-and improving-since the end of the summer. With the combination of new incomers and seasoned veterans, the Girls Volleyball team won an incredible victory at their Thursday match!

Come support your Storm at the next Girls Volleyball game this Saturday Night in Miami at 9:30!

This past summer, Director of Admissions Mrs. Melissa Pereira, Dean of Awesomeness Ms. Dana Sardano, and Director of College Preparatory Studies Dr. Laura Becker were sponsored by both the South Palm Beach County Jewish Federation and WYHS to travel to Israel.

Staff of a Zionistic school, these three faculty members (two of them on their first trip to Israel) got an opportunity to see and tour and integral part of their students' lives. Accompanied by the Jewish Education Commission, these members of the WYHS faculty had a fantastic time and an amazing experience.

WYHS' Inaugural

Night Seder

"Shh! We're trying to daven!" was what over thirty male WYHS students heard at their brand new Wednesday Night Seder Program.

They were so involved in their chavruta learning that they were actually quieted by others in the shul.

Freshly inspired by the kickoff of the Teshuva Campaign, over one-third of the male student body attended the new Night Seder program, where they intensely learned Mesechet Rosh HaShana. Why would over one-third of the male student body, exhausted from a nine and half hour school day and a night of homework ahead, attend a session of optional learning?

The answer is simple: because they want to. One of the main aspects of this year's Teshuva Campaign is an effort for students to improve in the area of Torah. With the opportunity of an exciting and new Wednesday Night Seder, students jumped at the chance to learn lishma-just for the sake of learning.

This year's new Night Seder Program not only offers students an opportunity to improve their learning skills, it also is a chance to bond with teachers outside of a classroom setting.

WYHS PULSE!

Wednesday Night Seder

Wednesday Night Mishmar

Intramural Mishmar

"I wanted to let you know how impressed the entire

Jacksonville community was with your students.

At such young ages to understand what it means

to be menachem avel is truly a credit to

their community and their school."

Louise Levine

from Jacksonville and Mother of Sam Levine ('10)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433