9-26-08 Highlites
$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring& Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Nitzavim
Friday, Sept. 26, 2008

rpt

Be Respectful of My Time!

Don't you hate when you wait forever in a doctor's office or attend a simcha which drags on for no perceptible reason? Why don't they respect our time?

"Time is Money" goes the saying. Rabbi Mordechai Willig points out that according to this idiom, money is actually more important than time. He suggests that we believe "Money is Time." Money can save you the time to cut your lawn, clean your house, etc. Time is our most important commodity.

WYHS is respectful of your time. We bundle multiple parent events in one evening. We put a lot of energy into running on schedule. We give you multiple scheduling options (when possible) so you can fit WYHS into your schedule. A perfect example is Parent Teacher Conferences.

Parent Teacher Conferences will take place on two nights this fall. You make the first come, first served appointments on line. You may come on one or both dates. The conferences are scheduled on different nights of the week and two weeks apart to be as flexible for your schedule as possible.

The following meetings will take place at the school on the same nights as the Fall Parent Teacher Conferences;

First Night (Wednesday, October 29)

• Girls Varsity Basketball Parent & Athlete Meeting (7:30-8:00pm)
  • YU/Stern Presentation for parents of seniors (8:00- 9:15pm)

Second Night (Tuesday, November 11)

• Israel Night for parents of seniors (7:00-8:00pm)
  • College Finance Program for parents of all grades (8:00-9:15pm)

Parents should look for the e-mail which will explain how to schedule Parent Teacher Conferences.

We wish you and your family a year of health and happiness. Yeshiva Highlites will next appear on Tuesday, October 7. Shabbat Shalom and Ktiva V'chatima Tova.

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

• MUST See TV!

Early Dismissal
    Thurs. October 2, Tzom Gedaliah

Boys Mad Tisch
    Next Friday Night, Shabbat Shuva, Oct. 3 at the Tirschwells

Girls Kinus Tshuva
    Monday, October 6, 5:45-8:00pm

Open House
    for prospective students
    Sunday, November 23, 9:30am-12:30pm

WYHS Golf Tournament
    @ Grande Oaks Golf Club
    Monday, November 24

...News Flash...

We're So Proud!

Rena & Rabbi Daniel Seif ('02) had their first child- Avraham Yehoshua

Jeremy & Shayna (Hoenig '04) Bekritsky were married

Yoni Levenson ('09) earned a National Merit Letter of Commendation

Our Prayers Are With

Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly
    Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss

Click here for a "timely" video

Time To Say Slichot!

WYHS' Inspiring Saturday Night Slichot Program

By: Paul Hess ('11)

Last Motzei Shabbat, over 130 WYHS students from grades 10-12 were inspired at the WYHS' annual Slichot program. The program's message was Carpe Diem- making the most of every moment and every opportunity. After Daniella Lieberman's poignant introduction, a stirring movie highlighted the frailty of man and the importance of maximizing our time. Rabbi Ovadia Jacob delivered a moving speech and stressed that right now is the time for change.

To end the program, everyone received a post-it note and was instructed to write down what mark they want to leave on WYHS. To concretize this thought, the students placed their post it on a large picture of the school, which will be hung in the hallway as a constant reminder.

This program affected students in different ways. We asked a few students how the Slichot program affected the way they intend to spend their time in the future:

Matthew Jacoby ('11)- I should take all my studies, religious and secular, more seriously and work more diligently. Every moment counts. I am now more grateful for having a time for learning so accessible to me, like the Wednesday night Night Seder program.

Lizzy Markovitch ('10)- I need to make more of an effort to stop speaking Lashon Hara. It is such a pointless and mean way to spend my time especially since now is the time when we are all trying to improve.

Tamar Buzalgo ('09) - I'm going to do as much Torah learning outside of the classroom as I can in order to prepare for my learning in the future. I now plan to attend the Chug at Mrs. Grossman's house on Wednesday nights--during my free time--since I feel that I should maximize every opportunity.

There is no need to procrastinate when undergoing a transformation to better your self. Especially in these days leading up to the Yamim Noraim, the time for change is now!

Click Here to Comment

An O-tisch-al Welcome to

WYHS

Big-Brother Big-Sister Tisch

This past Friday, seniors and their "little siblings" participated in a tisch. The tisch was an opportunity for seniors and freshmen alike to spend time together and get into the Shabbos spirit. It also allowed the little brothers and sisters to experience the ruach WYHS is all about.

Click Here to Comment

Spotted: Rabbi Chaim Lanner

Introducing: WYHS' 5768 Tzedekah drive.

This year, the money that WYHS raises will go to the Tomchei Shabbos, an organization which provides Shabbos meals, clothes, and more to those in need, of each student's community. Rabbi Lanner, a former WYHS teacher who now works in the financial field, explained to students the severe financial crisis of America today and how local families, whether you know it or not, are suffering and need out help. Hopefully, the money WYHS raises will help those in need.

Spotted: Dr. David Luchins

Chairman of: Department of Political Science, Touro College

Vice President of:the Orthodox Union

Speaking about: the upcoming election.

Dr. Luchins educated WYHS students about the different candidates--their pros, their cons, and everything in between. He addressed the preconceived notions about candidates and informed students as to where each nominee stands in regard to Israel.

Click Here to Comment

Click here for a "Big City" video

Student Council Out on the Town

WYHS Student Council at the Rally and on the Shabbaton

By:Josh Kaminetsky ('09)

What a week for Student Council! This past Shabbos, WHYS hosted its annual Student Council Shabbaton- a weekend of delicious Shabbos food, spirited zmirot, and student leader-faculty advisor bonding.

Whether it's public relations, program planning, or fundraising, Student Council is 'the man behind the curtain.' Student Council members also serve as role models for the student body and ensure that every student is pleased with their high school experience. Accordingly, numerous activities and programs over the course of Shabbos dealt with issues pertaining both to school and personal life. The Shabbaton truly provided an atmosphere in which the Student Council could further develop into one unified and cohesive unit in order to most effectively lead and inspire all WYHSers.

What better way to end a Student Council Shabbaton than real political action? This past Monday, seven Student Council members were privileged to fly up to New York City to participate in a rally against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the president of Iran and now a major threat to Israel and the world.

The loud noises, extreme heat, and claustrophobic feeling on 47th street didn't prevent Jews, all over North America, from unifying in protest. Despite hundreds of miles of travel, Jews hailing from Canada, California, and Florida all banded together. It was an unbelievable sight: thousands upon thousands of Jews joining in standing up for their ideals and voicing their opinions. It truly was a great honor and privilege to witness this momentous event. Thank you to Shira Englander and Mrs. Andron for chaperoning the trip and to all other faculty members who helped make this trip possible.

Click Here to Comment

Trust Me,

I'm a Doctor

WYHS Alumni at

Medical Ethics Society

By: Shana Maikhor ('05) and Avi Amsalem ('04)

Last Sunday, the Yeshiva University Student Medical Ethics Society held its third annual conference titled The Sanctity of Life: A Jewish Approach to End-of-Life Challenges. The conference addressed the sensitive and complex issues that arise when dealing with end of life issues.

The conference, held at YU's Wilf Campus attracted a crowd of close to three hundred and drew on the expertise of physicians, social workers, psychologists, medical ethicists, and rabbis.

The first session of the day titled Moments that Matter: Adult End-of-Life Challenges was presented by Dr. Beth Popp who addressed clinical palliative medicine, Dr. Tia Powell who focused on secular ethics, and Rabbi Dr. Moshe Tendler who presented the halachic issues that arise in end of life care.

After the first session conference, participants had the opportunity to attend one of six breakout sessions. Some of the topics covered in these smaller session included assisted suicide, making end of life decisions, organ donation, health care proxy, do not resuscitate orders as well as a question and answer session specifically designed for Rabbis.

Following a lunch break, the second session of the day titled Who Decides and What to Say? Pediatric End-of-Life Challenges dealt with the tragic but unfortunately pertinent issues that arise in the case of a terminally ill pediatric patient. This session hosted a panel discussion between Dr. Alexander Okun, Rabbi Mordechai Willig, WYHS founder Rabbi Kenneth Brander, and Rabbi Simcha Scholar of Chai Lifeline. Drawing from their professional and personal experience, the panel of rabbis and doctors were able to address the medical, ethical, halachic, and psychosocial difficulties that are unique to the terminally ill pediatric patient.

We are very proud to report that six of the thirty volunteers who were intensely involved with the conference are WYHS alumni. Coming from a school like WYHS, it is no surprise that so many of our graduates are finding different ways of taking an active leadership role on the Yeshiva University campus.

Click Here to Comment

At the Saturday night Slichot program, students thought about the mark they want to leave on WYHS before graduating. Each student wrote it on a post-it and stuck the note on an actual picture of the school. Below are some of the things students want to accomplish before they march down the aisle wearing their maroon and white caps and gowns:

"Stand up for what I believe in, even if I stand alone."

"Davening with more kavanah."
    "Inspire and be inspired."
    "To make friendships that'll last a lifetime."

"...our sincere gratitude & admiration to the WYHS

student council officers for representing our community

at the Rally to Stop Iran in NY."

--Bill Bernstein

President and CEO of the South Palm Beach County

Jewish Federation

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
    Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
    Paul Hess ('11) Staff
    Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
    Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
    7902 Montoya Circle
    Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
    RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
    This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433