The Cool New Yeshiva Highlites
$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring& Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Ki Teitzei
Friday, Sept. 12, 2008

rpt

Diversity

Every high school senior wants to be a minority. Columbia College is now 50% minority! That's if you count Asians as a minority and trust what students write on their application.

Diversity at a Jewish day school? No way! All the students are from similar backgrounds. We believe that we are sacrificing diversity on the altar of a religious environment when we send our children to yeshiva. However, it's simply not true.

Diversity of Ability. As opposed to a college or most private schools, we service students with a wide range of abilities, from Ivy Leaguers to community college bound. If they want the religious and academic growth we're offering and can pass all the subjects in one of our various levels, they're welcome at WYHS.

Socio Economic Diversity. Our families' incomes span every tax bracket. WYHS certainly can't be characterized as a school for rich kids. Ivy League schools like Columbia are going to phase out legacy because they are finding that it leads to getting rich children of rich alumni. This is a problem we don't have.

Geographically Diverse- We draw from a larger radius than any public school and than most private schools- from Miami Breach to Jacksonville.

Diversity of Nationality- We have students whose parents come from Belgium, Cuba, Iran, Israel, Morocco, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Venezuela, Zaire and Zimbabwe (to name a few). We have many students whose second language is English.

WYHS is truly diverse!

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

MUST See TV!

Motzei Shabbos Live
Boys Soccer 9:00pm @JCC

The Rebbe Does NY
Rabbi Sugerman meets male alumni @YU this Tuesday
click here to make an appointment

Student Council on Sabbatical
Shabbaton Parshat Ki Tavo

WYHS Goes Hollywood
PreSlichot Program Next Motzei Shabbat Young Israel Hollywood 10:00pm

...News Flash...

It's Finally Official!
Shira Davis ('01) is engaged to Jesse Mandell of Halifax, Nova Scotia

Our Prayers Are With
Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss

Offshore Drilling,

Electric Cars,

Money in Our Wallets:

Election Wishlist 2008

After a long day of classes, I was so tired. By the time the assembly started, my eyes were rolling into the back of my head. However, when the loud music and jarring noises started in the 9/11 video began, my head jerked up. I opened my eyes and I couldn’t stop staring. It had been a while since I’d seen the footage of the attack. I was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of insecurity.

What if it happened again? What if it happened to me?For the first time, I actually stopped to think about the upcoming election: Who would be able to protect us from future attacks? Even though I can’t vote, I finally realized that I have a right to be concerned.

On September 11, 2001, I was sitting in my third grade classroom, when suddenly I was called to the office to be dismissed. My mom was waiting for me; she rushed up to me, gave me a big, relieved hug and then told me that the Twin Towers had been bombed. Did I know what that meant? she asked. Of course I didn’t, but I said, “Yeah, sure,” shrugged, and went home, where I spent the rest of the day annoyed that nothing good was on TV except for the same video, over and over again, of two big towers exploding.

In the past, I felt detached on 9/11. This year, when the video was shown at the assembly, I focussed and paid attention. Suddenly, the people jumping out of the building didn’t seem like just anyone—those people were parents, children, brothers and sisters, friends…people just like us. For the first time since the attack, I cared.

I know I complain about schoolwork every day. So when I sat down at the September 11th assembly, it was with relief: Yes! No seventh period! We get to miss math! However, when Josh Kaminestky mentioned that American public high school students were notoriously bad at math and science, and that this could seriously threaten our future status as a world power., that kind of scared me. I mean, we basically hold the future in our hands. How can we make sure that we stay at the top, if this is the way our public school education system is heading?

Click here to leave feedback on this article

Delicioso!

Like 3.3 MILLION other Floridians, HABLAMOS ESPAÑOL.

Not only are we learning how to leer, hablar, y escribe en Espanol, but we're also learning about the Spanish culture.

Now by "culture," I don't just mean the stuff on Telemundo- I'm talking about the real thing:

Tacos!

Chile con carne!

Frejoles!

Salchichas!

Pastel de chocolate!

Hamburgesas!

This past Sunday, WYHS' Spanish teacher, Mrs. Vivian Kestenbaum threw a magnificent fiesta at her home for all of her students, from the fluent seniors to the freshmen newbies. We ate, socialized, and brushed up on some vocabulary for fine dining. A huge gracias goes out to Mrs. Kestenbaum, her familia, and her comida which was muy sabrosa. (In the immortal words of Dora the Explorer, "Yum, Yum, Yum, Delicioso!")

Here are some helpful hints to survive
la clase de Espanol
:

DO: Know the line "puedo ir al bano por favor" (May I go to the bathroom please). Your bladder will thank you.

DON'T: Walk into the classroom late and ask to go to the bathroom or get your books in English. You will regret it.
DO: Look up any pertinent words in your Spanish-English dictionary before asking a question.
DON'T: Talk in English with a horrible Spanish accent or randomly add Spanish suffixes, such as "o" or "ito" to English words. It's not very convincing.
DO: Be prepared to hear "This is not an elective; this is an academic class at an elective hour" at least four times a day.
DON'T: Wait till 10 seconds before class to review your vocabulary words.
DO: Pay attention when playing "Senora Kestenbaum dice"(Mrs. Kestenbaum says). You'll learn a ton of important Spanish terms by playing.
DON'T: Text on your cellphone during class. Texting in Spanish does not make it OK or less noticable.

Click Here to comment on This Article

Bloody Thursday

"I'm so excited to give blood next year when I'm sixteen," said an underclassman who was unable to give blood this year at WYHS' first ever blood drive. This enthusiasm is what drove over thirty WYHS students-only juniors and seniors-to donate blood on September 11.

Students wore their bandages as badges of honor. The "Blood Donor" t-shirts became the new fashion statement. Some students were scared, some were tough, but the excitement to do such a mitzvah-albeit a painful one-was clear in every student.

A Yasher Koach and thank you to all those who donated blood and helped to plan such an event.

Click Here to Comment on This Article

Click here for a frenetic soccer video!

To say that the Boys Varsity soccer team is off to a good start is an understatement. With its combination of intense skills and team work, the soccer team has had an undefeated season 4-0. Some of their games have included unbelievable goals, an impressive shutout, and a plethora of fans.

It's hard not to get caught up in the storm!!

Support your storm at the next soccer game! Saturday night at 9 pm at the Boca JCC!

Spotted: Rav Itamar Schwartz

Author of: Bi Lvavi Mishkan Evneh

Talking about: introspective thinking, making the mitzvot important to you, and wanting to be Jewish.

Special thanks to: Mr. and Mrs. Levi Grunhaus

32 Number of people who donated blood

512 Number of fluid ounces of blood donated

"I really feel a good vibe in the hallways here at WYHS."

Sara Augenbraun

PR & Resource Coordinator, Afikim

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433