View Printable Version

Yeshiva Highlites Is Back
$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring & Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Tazria-Metzora
Friday, Apr. 24, 2009

rpt

Should our school create opportunities for our students to interact with teenagers who do not have a yeshiva background?

It is crucial that we inspire our students to be active participants in the broader Jewish and American communities. They have so much to offer others who have not been afforded the same education and raised with the same values. They also have much to learn from the sense of wonderment and respect of those to whom our lifestyle is not pedestrian. Most important perhaps is the educational message that we are all one people.

On the other hand, teenagers have vastly different pressures on them than adults. Most adults have spouses and careers and are relatively secure in their identity. Most teenagers, however, are trying to figure out who they are, where they stand in relation to others, and what their principles are. Teenagers understandably have a deep desire to be "normal" (if not cool) in the eyes of their peers.

How do we resolve our seemingly contradictory goals of interaction with the broader community and exposing them solely to positive peer pressure in terms of our values? I believe that the answer is creating venues for interactions that will inspire and not weaken our teens.

Communal Yom Haatzmaut programs are one. This coming Wednesday night, I encourage all of you to participate in "Night Under the Stars" in Mizner Park. In addition, for the last two years, the day schools of South Palm Beach County marched as schools, followed by the community and yeshiva high school students celebrating together and listening to an important message. I hope that this event will reemerge in better economic times.

The Jewish Roots / Kiryat Bialik Program is another. Some of our most deeply committed students meet with local non Yeshiva teens and (via videoconference) hiloni Israeli peers to understand each other's perspectives. For one week each year, we send students to Israel with a faculty mentor to actually live in the homes of these Israelis, and they reciprocate for a week as well.

In trying times, participating in demonstrations is crucial. We unite with our fellow Jews to support Israel, in good times as well as bad.We sent our Student Council Cabinet to New York to participate in anti-Achmedinijad rally at the UN this fall, and we participated in a communal show of support of Israel's Project Cast Lead this winter.

The lifestyle that we preach to our children is both empowering and restrictive. Kashrut, non- physical relationships between boys and girls, kipot, tzniut, and tefila frame what a child eats, wears, and does. For teenagers, who by their nature test limits, an observant Jewish lifestyle is a tall order. We ask a lot.

Programs which do not have our standards are huge challenges to expect a high school student to withstand. This is doubly true if they 24/7 and lengthy. They are only for students with a very strong sense of self and a solid religious identity.

Our Religious Zionist worldview requires us to walk a tightrope throughout our lives- remaining faithful to Torah observance while participating in the broader world. Though tightrope walking is dangerous, we believe that it is what G-d wants from us. May we be successful in teaching our children this high wire act about which we feel so strongly.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

Journal Dinner
Tribute Committee
in formation

Ellen & Jay Adler
Lisa & Phil Baratz
Alyssa & Menachem Baumgarten
Lori & Marc Ben-Ezra
Helene & Abbey Berkowitz
Carol & Howard Bienenfeld
Darlene & Michael Bokor
Deena & Steve Borzak
Yael & Steven Charlap
Dorit & Ben J Genet
Monica & David Genet
Simone & Charles Griff
Ana & Stanley Haar
Lynn Hahn
Gloria & Stewart Harris
Jodi & Jeffrey Harris
Anita & Sam Heering
Shari & Moshe Hirth
Sarah & Steven Jacoby
Melanie & Bernie Kaminetsky
Caroline & Daniel Katz
Judi & Gary Krasna
Arlene & Sam Lasko
Ellen & Jon Lasko
Cindy & Bruce Nimhauser
Fay & Jose Poliak
Jill & Michael Rose
Chani & Bennett Salamon
Dana & Barry Schechter
Ellen & Zorik Spektor
Linda & Ted Struhl
Robin & Warren Struhl
Estelle & Norman Wald

Join the Tribute Committee

Download the Ad Blank

Upcoming Events

Israel Under the Stars
Communal Yom Haatzmaut
Wed, April 29, 6:00pm @Mizner
Click Here for Flyer
(no night seder)

WYHS Annual Dinner
Honoring Hirths & Schochets
Tuesday, May 26, 6:00pm
Click Here for Ad Blank

Good & Welfare

Mazel Tov
Dr. Michael & Mrs. Ora Lee Kanner on the marriage of their daughter

Condolences
Mrs. Ricky Abramson on the loss of her father

Yom HaShoah at WYHS

This year's Yom HaShoah program at WYHS was especially thought-provoking. Thanks to the hard work of the student council, students entered WYHS to see the entire school covered in various pictures from the Holocaust era, including many with informing captions, which really added to the Yom Hashoah experience. Students were then privileged to hear a first-hand account from Holocaust survivor, Abraham Negrin. Hearing a survivor's story directly really impacted the students and made the entire day more meaningful. Next, students watched clips of the film The Boy in the Striped Pajamas . The film allowed students to consider a different view of the Holocaust, which really got everyone thinking. Thanks so much to Director of Student Activities Shira Englander, Assistant Director of Student Activities Rabbi Allan Houben, and the student council for an extremely intense and meaningful Yom HaShoah experience.

How did the hallway 'adornments' add to the Yom Hashoah atmosphere?

Leora Litwin ('12): Before school started I knew that there would be some impactful Yom Hashoah program, but having the hallways covered in black (including the lights) along with all of the Holocaust pictures and explanations really put me in the mindset of focusing on the tragedy of the holocaust; it aided me tremendously in recognizing the importance of the day and to "never forget".

Adina San Solo ('11): I think it helped set the mood; the program is two periods, but this made us think about it all day. It helped us remember what the day was.

What part of the film, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, impacted you the most?

Leora Litwin ('12): Honestly, I bawled throughout the entire film. The whole premise of the movie -- witnessing the Holocaust through the eyes of eight year old children -- was heartbreaking. The movie awakened me to the fact that there were, in truth, so many innocent victims who were unaware of their fate and the morbid murder awaiting them. Especially for children though, it is terrible to note that thousands upon thousands were murdered without them having the smallest inkling about what was going on around them.

What aspect of the survivor's story touched you the most?

Tamar Grunhaus ('10): When the survivor explained that he thinks a major reason why he survived is because he kept a positive attitude throughout the Holocaust. The thing I found most amazing about that point was the fact that he managed to keep a positive attitude and that he had such strong belief in G-d.

Leora Litwin ('12): His optimism and pragmatism are truly inspirational.

What lesson from the Holocaust can we apply today?

Adina San Solo ('11): That the Jews are a different people, and in the same way that we were segregated in such a negative manner, hopefully when Mashiach comes we'll be elevated in a positive manner.

As the last generation to have the luxury of hearing first hand accounts of the Holocaust from survivors, how can we ensure that the Holocaust is always remembered in the future?

Tamar Grunhaus ('10): We can educate ourselves about the stories and the lives of the survivors so that we can tell the stories to our children in a way that makes it seem real to them; we will be able to say "I knew this person. He told me his story, and now I'm going to tell it to you".

Every Tuesday and Thursday, WYHS offers a girls conditioning program. Led by fitness guru Huvie Gately, the program combines fun and fitness and is a great opportunity for some after school exercise.

15 Number of minutes it takes most of the girls to run around Montoya Circle

2 Number of girls that take at least twice that amount

2,735,884.8 Number of millimeters the girls run

30Number of lunges done by the girls

Rabbi Chaim Lanner is back and better than ever! After a three year WYHS hiatus, Rabbi Lanner is back at WYHS teaching two math classes. Below, we asked Rabbi Lanner about WYHS "take two":

1) In what ways has WYHS changed since you last taught here?

Well, Rabbi Horowitz is a bit older, Rabbi Tirschwell is a bit thinner, and Mrs Sardano...uh...er...well, let's just say she gets a big b'shaah tova!! I wouldn't say that too much has changed, just improved and gotten bigger and better. There are more students and teachers at WYHS than there were a few years ago, and the extra energy and excitement in the classrooms and hallways is palpable. There are more student activities, committees, and sports teams than there were, and you tend to forget that there is also a whole lot of teaching and learning going on here as well. There are more AP courses offered and more opportunities for Torah learning than there were not that long ago. Also, there have been some significant additions made to the school's administration. They are a wonderful enhancement to the already stellar faculty. So, all in all, it's really still the same great school I knew from the past...only better!

2) How has the transition back to WYHS been for you?

It's been such a pleasure. It's great to be back with my old buddies again. It's great to be back in the classroom. And most of all, it's great to be interacting with the students again, all of whom have growing and inquiring minds and love to learn...or at least just like to hang out and shmooze.

3) How did you first get interested in teaching?

My interest in teaching, I believe, came from being exposed to so many of today's greatest Judaic studies teachers. Throughout high school (where I had Executive Director Shimmie Kaminetsky's older brother as my 10th grade Gemara rebbe) and beyond, I was the beneficiary of so many great teachers that shared so much of themselves with their students like myself, that I was inspired to do the same. Truth be told, I appreciated my Gemara rebbeim and math teachers more than any of the others, and it is precisely those disciplines that I enjoy teaching most. I hope that one day my students will have gained from me as much as I have gained, and still gain, from my teachers.

by: Chaim Thoma ('09) and Elana Linker ('09), heads of the recycling committee

WYHS's first ever "Recycling War" is the recycling committee's way of celebrating Earth Day (April 22nd) and getting students excited about recycling. Each grade has one designated recycling bin. The goal? For each grade to fill up its bin the fastest. The way the war works is that each bottle in a grade's bin is worth 3 points towards that grade. The students can "sabotage" the other grades' bins by placing plastic (recyclable, of course!) cereal bowls in other grades' bins; one point will be deducted for each bowl in a grade's bin. The war will continue through next week as well, and the winning grade will receive a special prize! Good luck!

Click Here to Comment

"The most powerful part of Yom HaShoah was entering

the high school through the train tracks, and viewing

your exhibit. It was viscerally disturbing and haunting.

Kol HaKavod!"

--Melanie Kaminetsky, Parent & Board Member

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433