Yeshiva Highlites Premieres NEW SEASON
$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring & Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Beshalach
Friday, Feb. 6, 2009

rpt

Does School Foster Creativity?

I spent last Shabbat at University of Pennsylvania with our graduates. On Friday, I had the privilege of meeting with the Dean of Admissions Eric Furda. I asked him what, in addition to grades, scores, and the most challenging courses, is Penn looking for in an applicant.

"Who are you?" "Your voice" "How are you unique?" Can you articulate who you are, what is important to you, and (most importantly) why. This was his unequivocal answer.

Creativity, personality and communication skills have paradoxically become much more, not less, important in the information age. Anybody with Google can know everything. What makes each student unique is how he/she analyzes, internalizes, and presents his/her views.

Does School Foster Creativity? Yes and no. On one hand, we teach and assess the memorization and understanding of information. I agree with Educational Philosopher E.D. Hirsch ("Everything Your 1st Grader Needs To Know")- schools have a responsibility to produce "cultural literate" young adults who are familiar with a certain core of knowledge.

WYHS goes to great lengths to encourage individuality and creativity This is the prime goal of our student activities and extracurriculars. The purpose of programs like Color War, Model UN, Athletics, AIPAC, Student Council, Yearbook, etc. is to give every student an opportunity to discover and develop what makes them unique.

Creativity also is a goal in the classroom. English and history essays require students to express their own opinion. The entire process of text study in Judaic classes encourages students to analyze and offer their own answers. A student's individuality is expressed in projects in electives such as Art, Business, Jewish Philosophy, Public Speaking, Spanish and Web Design.

Parents and teachers must encourage the analysis and higher order thinking which helps a student determine exactly who he or she is, and encourage them to articulate their unique voice.

Let me catch you up on two months of WYHS smachot;

Engagements- Our 6th Couple- Meir Weiss & Suri Orzechowitz ('07); Meli Drachman ('06) & Zvi Naierman of Staten Island; Sarah Dray ('05) & Adam Davis of Toronto; Kayla Kowal ('06) & Gabi Krauss of Woodmere; Chava Turk ('02) & David Epstein of the Lower East Side

Weddings: Sarah Bensimon ('05) to Eric Kotowitz; Sam Cohen ('04) & Sara Schlussel; Arianna Halbstein ('05) & Koby Sabghir; Amanda Schiff ('05) & Arie Blum

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

What A Season!

Come Out This Sat. Nite
Boys BB vs. Hillel NMB
8:00 & 9:30 @Boca Prep
GVB Districts
8:00pm @ Boca Christian

YU Model UN
Sunday-Tuesday, Feb. 8-10

Girls Bball Tournament
Wednesday-Sunday, Feb. 11-15

Topsy Turvy Day
Rosh Chodesh Adar Chagiga
Tuesday, February 24

Girls' Fashion Show
February 25, 6:00pm
Open to Women of All Ages

Soph. & Junior Retreats
Sunday-Monday, March 1-2

Annual Purim Chagiga
Monday, March 9th 7:30pm
For Present Families & Alumni
Click here to RSVP

Not So JUNIOR Anymore....

The 11th Grade Learns More About College!

Daniella Lieberman ('10)

When nearing the end of junior year, the mention of the word "college" immediately instills fear and anxiety in both the students and the parents. In order to stop this incredible college-phobia, Mrs. Roberts held a meeting with juniors and their parents on Tuesday night to rationally explain the details of applying to colleges both near and far. She ingeniously trained us in the foreign art of college search and applications, and students left feeling confident in their skills at finding the perfect college for them. For those of you who thought that getting into college now is the same as it was "back in the day," here are a few examples of how getting into college will be different this year:

• From the year 1940 to 2000, the percentage of high school graduates going to college tripled. This means much, much more competition!
  • Contrary to popular belief, SAT and ACT scores do not matter the most to colleges. Colleges understand that it is only one test and that people can do poorly on them. Rather, it is one's all-around high school performance that colleges value most.
  • If colleges see amazing grades but no extra-curricular activities on an application, they don't see a well-rounded applicant. So if you have the option to study for the third day in a row for a quiz or to build houses for Habitat for Humanity, go build that house! You'll get into college and, more importantly, do chesed!
Last but not least, don't stress about college and certainly don't let it take over your high school experience. Keep your grades up, have fun in extra-curricular activities, and most importantly, visit Mrs. Roberts often (after the seniors and juniors of course).

Click Here to Comment

In Memoriam

Mr. Jules Weiss z"l

By LeeLee Borzak ('10)

This week, WYHS commemorated the death of Mr. Jules Weiss z"l, beloved former faculty member and husband of math department chair, Mrs. Beverly Weiss. Rabbi Tirschwell spoke beautifully by quoting the eulogy Mr. Weiss's son made at the funeral. Mr. Weiss survived the Holocaust and truly had a lev tov, a good heart. Known for his intelligence, kindness, and warmth, he was an all around nice man and will forever remain a valued member of the WYHS family. Mr. Weiss was a deeply committed and devoted father and husband and will surely be missed.

To further connect students to the tragic concept of death, Rabbi Ben Sugerman, WYHS teacher and member of the Chevra Kadisha, spoke to students about the the Jewish concept of life and death and what goes on at the Chevra Kadisha. When a person passes away, Rabbi Sugerman explained, the neshama, the soul, separates from the guf, the physical body. The physical body still has inherent holiness as it housed the neshama, the most spiritual part of a human. Thus, as is the work of the Chevra Kadisha, the body is carefully taken care of. In the wake of the tragic death of a mother of a WYHS student, Rabbi Sugerman's speech helped students actualize such a troubling concept.

Click Here to Comment

Spotted:Rav Binny Freedman

Founder of:Israelight

Speaking To: the 11th and 12th grade students

Speaking About: the deeper meaning of Shabbat, the fact that it is more than a "day of rest," and reflections on his past in the Israeli army

Click Here to Comment

New to the Lineup

With the winter sports season almost behind us, WYHS is gearing up for its new spring season: boys baseball and boys and girls tennis! WYHS athletes are already trying out for the teams and showing lots of effort. Along with the new sports season, WYHS welcomes the new coaches. Below, we asked the new coaches a few questions regarding the upcoming spring Storm season.

How do you expect your WYHS experience to differ from other schools?

Raphi: I think that WYHS must be held to a higher standard because of their link to Judaism. In a time when people that seek to damage our reputation are as loud and punitive as ever, this is a true opportunity to make a Kidush Hashem through hard work and determination. This is an expectation that I wouldn't have for other high schools.

Ken: I expect the students to be more respectful than some past experiences I had working in the New York public school system.

What experience do you have with your sport?

Raphi: I was a baseball player as a child until I graduated high school. I then went the "old man" route and started playing softball since that time. I've been a hockey player just as long (mostly ice hockey). Hockey and baseball are my true passions.

Ken:I was a college and tournament level tennis player and am a USPTA certified teaching professional.

What is your most embarrassing sports moment?

Raphi: Easy. Two balks one inning.

Ken:Breaking my thumb while playing catcher in little league baseball; i forgot to put my non-catching hand behind my back.

What do you want to accomplish this year with your team?

Raphi: We seek to establish discipline and an understanding of the seriousness necessary to win high school baseball games. That doesn't mean we can't have fun doing it...

Ken:I want to win as many matches as we can, but more importantly I want an enjoyable season and everyone to have fun playing tennis.

What are you looking forward to most this year?

Raphi: Teaching baseball and getting the most from each player on the team. I look forward to seeing each player's character and determination.

Ken: Improving the quality of the tennis program at WYHS.

This past Sunday, WYHS further welcomed the future class of 2013 as prospective girls went to Mrs. Kanner's home in North Miami Beach and prospective boys went to Rabbi Tirschwell's home in Boca Raton. Current WYHS students helped ease the 8th graders' transition into the world of high school, and both had fun playing games, eating pizza and sandwiches, and, of course, receiving WYHS paraphernalia.

42 Number of Girls

43 Number of Boys

13 Number of frisbees given away

62 Number of Deli Sandwiches eaten by the boys

"The Color War Special was by far the

most amazing Highlites ever!!!"

--Everyone who viewed last week's Highlites

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433