Inspiring & Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Vayetze
Friday, Dec. 5, 2008

rpt

1) Where Does Tuition Go?

2) What Are Our Campus Plans?

3) How Can We Have Educational Input?

There is one place you can go to get answers to all of these and all other questions about WYHS- Town Meetings.

"An Educated Consumer is Our Best Customer"- we agree with Sy Syms. The more input and understanding you have about how WYHS works, the better off both you and WYHS will be. We want you to share your questions and suggestions about every aspect of the WYHS experience.

Our school is, thank G-d, growing. We had the largest turn out ever at our well received Open House, and it has resulted in more applications and SSAT registrations than we've ever had only two weeks later. We would like to share with you our plans to house these students.

We are all looking at our personal expenses, dividing them into "must have" and "would like to have." We are taking a close look at where every dollar at WYHS goes. We would like to share with you the WYHS budget.

On four nights during the next two weeks, Shimmie and I will be coming to your communities for Town Meetings (see dates in the yellow box at right) These will be both "open mic nights" and an opportunity for us to make presentations on these two important issues. I hope that all present WYHS parents will join us.

Shabbat Shalom

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

MUST See TV!

Town Meetings for Parents Boca @Bakst Mon Dec 12 Hollywood @ Gelman Mon. Dec. 8
Miami Beach @Bronner Tues Dec 9
NMB @Tokayer Tues. Dec.16

Israel Visits Galore!
Click here for the Schedule

Chanuka Chagiga
for present families & alumni
Thursday, Dec 25 12:00pm

...News Flash...

Mazel Tov!

Ilana (Singer '06) and Dovi Lamet ('05)- WYHS' 5th Couple- on their marriage

Dr. Michael & Principal Ora Lee Kanner on the engagement of their daughter Ally

Our Condolences

Mr. Menachem Baumgarten on the loss of his father, Rabbi Joseph Baumgarten

Our Prayers Are With

Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly
Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss
Chana bat Devorah
Yehuda Aryeh Leib ben Yaspa Lieberman

The Wonderful

World of WYHS!

This Year's Open House

Last week, WYHS hosted its annual Open House for 8th graders interested in attending WYHS. The prospective class of '13 was greeted to a carnival-themed Open House which entertainingly displayed the multitude of extra-curriculars and electives offered at WYHS.

Student Council and Student Ambassadors greeted the eighth graders, already making the prospective students feel at home. After hearing from Mrs. Kanner and Ben Scheiner ('09), students and parents were introduced to a day in the life of a WYHS student, hearing mini-classes from the amazing teachers. After this, parents were invited to hear more about the WYHS experience and application process, while the students were treated to their "carnival."

As they ate snow-cones and cotton candy, the students learned about WYHS' extra-curriculars, such as Chazak and drama, and elective classes, like art and Spanish. Next, the eighth graders challenged the seniors with "Are You Smarter Than a Twelfth Grader?" and got caught up in the Storm with a soccer and basketball shoot-out. The prospective students had a great time and the Open House truly encompassed the fun, energetic--but at the same time educational--atmosphere of WYHS.

Click Here to Comment

by Chana Brauser ('10)

In the wake of last week's Mumbai terror attacks, Jews across the world have been mourning the deaths of two prominent Chabad Shlichim, Rabbi Gavriel and Rivka Holtzberg, as well as the hundreds of other victims. The Mumbai Chabad House was one of the various targets the terrorists specifically sought out, and the Holtzbergs, as well as all their guests, were held hostage for two days before the police managed to gain control of the building and identify the dead bodies. While their two-year-old son was smuggled out of the building by a loyal nanny, none of the others managed to escape.

Students were privileged to hear from Rabbi Yanky Denberg, a local Chabad Rabbi who knew and had worked with the Holtzbergs during his time in Bangalore, India. Rabbi Denberg shared stirring recollections of the Holtzbergs' dedication and utter selflessness during their years in Mumbai. He described the Chabad house as an "oasis" in the middle of an otherwise decrepit and dirty city, a beautifully renovated haven for local and visiting Jews. In fact, he noted, the entire house was tastefully redone with no expense spared, leaving only the top floor, the Holtzbergs' tiny bedrooms, in their original poor condition. The Holtzbergs provided meals twice daily for the guests constantly circulating in and out, and dedicated the entire house as a public space, giving themselves hardly any privacy.

Ultimately, Rabbi Denberg admitted that while we can never truly understand why this tragedy occurred, we can only learn from the victims' selflessness and compassion. Perhaps, he suggested, we can leave our own "comfort zones" every once in a while, to help one another, and try to embody even a fraction of their benevolence and respect for each and every Jewish soul. Everyone in the audience was truly touched to hear such a personal account of these heroes.

Click Here to Comment

The Other WYHS Freshman!

WYHS' New History Teacher

By Paul Hess ('11)

This year, WYHS is privileged to welcome to its staff Mr. Brian Carlson. Mr. Carlson, a war veteran and a classroom jokester, is already a beloved teacher at WYHS after only one trimester. Below, Mr. Carlson, a truly dedicated educator and already an avid Highlites fan, tells us more about himself and his view on WYHS.

Tell us a little bit about your heroic army past.

Mr. Carlson: I enrolled in the Marine Corp when I was eighteen. I served as a platoon sergeant and even have earned three purple hearts. I got shot a bunch of times, and whenever I was wounded, I made sure to never leave the field and to take care of the wound on my own and continue fighting.

Where have you taught before WYHS?

Mr. Carlson: I have been a high school teacher, a community college professor, and a university instructor for twenty five years. I have taught inner-city kids at Dillard in Broward for fifteen years and have taught at Nova, just to name a few. In my twenty five years of teaching, I have never missed one single class.

What are your impressions of WYHS, now that you've taught here for a full trimester?

Mr. Carlson: Teaching here truly is a present for me and I mean that sincerely. These past couple of months have been the best experience I have had in my whole teaching career. It is as if I have been sent to "teacher heaven". The environment of the school promotes 100% dedication towards the education of the students. The students are at the same time the most diligent, enthusiastic, and intelligent learners I have ever witnessed. Each one of them is so polite and kind towards me and has already made me feel so welcome here. For example, not once have I had to deal with disciplinary issues, contrary to all of the other schools I have taught at. In addition, the entire faculty here is all out to help one another. WYHS is geared towards student success.

Last week marked the fifth wedding of intra-WYHS alumni! As they do for every WYHS couple, Rabbi and Mrs. Perry Tirschwell graciosuly hosted a beautiful Sheva Brachot for the couple. Below are interesting statistics regarding life after WYHS:

47 Number of married Alumni

5 Number of Intra married couples

10 Number of engaged alumni

20 Number of children of alumni

"You guys did a great job on Sunday with the Open House.

It really makes me proud to be part of the WYHS family

when you see such wonderful programs. It is especially

impressive how you continuously find ways to augment

the program and keep it "fresh" and "up-tempo."

--Avi Litwin

Parent of current and prospective WYHS students

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433