$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring& Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Lech Lecha
Friday, Nov. 7, 2008

rpt

Is WYHS Too Religious

Or Not Religious Enough?

Dress code, separation between boys and girls, girls Judaic curriculum and which Israel schools are popular. These are the bell weather issues by which people judge where a yeshiva high school fits on the spectrum.

Why isn't WYHS just like Frisch or Kushner, Bruriah or MTA, Ma'ayanot or TABC on each of these issues? Why can't WYHS just be the like the school up north that you like?

There are three answers to this question;

We service a broader population- with significantly fewer options in our region, we service the entire range of families seeking a college preparatory, religious Zionist education. We want all these students to feel at home. We don't have the luxury of defining ourselves narrowly.

Our focus on religious inspiration- We are not just running a high school for teenagers whose parents want a traditional Jewish education. Our mission is to Challenge and Inspire our students. We have come up with a successful formula to inspire teenagers to choose an observant path. Our particular formula is not a carbon copy of any school.

Our society has become more debase- Try to find a half hour of a sitcom without any sexual innuendo, references to alternative lifestyles, or justification of unethical behavior. Paradoxically, as women have become the majority at colleges and medical schools, they are objectified more in advertising and media. We try to create a safe space for our girls, and an opportunity for boys to learn respect for them.

The proof is in the pudding. Over 90% of our graduates dedicate a year to increasing their love of Torah and Israel at yeshiva or seminary in Israel before beginning university. Our 42 married alumni have chosen spouses who share their religious values and convictions. May G-d continue to empower us to inspire our present and future students in the same fashion.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

MUST See TV!

This Tuesday 11/11
Early Dismissal 2:45pm
P/T Conferences 4:00-9:30pm
Israel Night for Sr. Parents 7pm
College Finance Seminar 8pm

This Wednesday., 11/12
School Starts @9.30am

Class Nights Out
9th Grade- This Wed., 11/12
11th Grade- This Monday, 11/10

Attention 8th Graders
Open House for Parents & Students
Sunday, 11/23 9:30am-12:30pm

WYHS Golf Tournament
@ Grande Oaks Golf Club
Monday, November 24

...News Flash...

Mazel Tov
Maggie Dweck ('04) on her engagement to Jason Listhaus of Livingston, NJ

Aryeh Rotenberg ('01) on his aliyah

Alana & Elie Berkowitz on the birth of Moshe Chaim

Dana Friedman on her engagement to Eli Tabaria.

Our Prayers Are With
Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss Chana bat Devorah

Waffles, Babies, & A Whole Lot of

Dancing

WYHS' First Baby Bash/Chagiga of the Year

Click here for an amazing slideshow

Wow! This room really looks great. The theme of the décor is very cute really and captures the occasion perfectly. I can tell that the Rosh Chodesh committee must have put in a lot of time and effort. And what is that I smell? What an array of food; but a brunch for the Chagiga, what is going on here?

What is going on in here? There are literally no wallflowers to be found! It is pandemonium. Everyone in the room is dancing; this may be the first time in recent history that every single person is so involved. This energy is so uplifting. This is my fourth year experiencing these Chagigas and they really do get better and better.

As a new member of the faculty, this is my first time at a WYHS Chagiga, and it truly is an experience! The excitement is self evident and you can clearly see that everyone loves this school, and not just because they miss class every month, but they genuinely enjoy celebrating Rosh Chodesh and sharing in their teachers' smachot. Being lifted by the entire male student body is definitely going to be my highlight of this Chagiga.

Hearing the eloquent speeches of Morah Shalit and Rabbi Houben about their newborn babies' names inspired me and made me think about my own name and the meaning behind it. I really wish I could have been here for the last one of these to witness Rabbi Horowitz cry- now that would have been a sight!

It is really beautiful to see the sensitive side of our teachers and how they are so passionate towards this school. You can tell it is like their second home. They each feel such a close bond with the students, which is so moving, and rare to find. This Chagiga will certainly go down in the books as everything expected and much more.

Click Here to Comment

On the same day as America voted for a new president, the class of 2012 voted for 9th grade class presidents. Congratulations to Sarah Katz ('12) and Adam Engri ('12) on becoming the Class of 2012's first class presidents.

Click Here to Comment

Lyre Lyre Psalms on Fire

This week marked WYHS' first ever Tehillim circle. Girls were invited to spend their Wednesday lunch in order to complete the entire Sefer Tehillim.

by Daniella Lieberman ('10), Vice President of Torah Affairs

Saying Tehillim together as one,
Not stopping until the sefer is done
Is the goal that the Tehillim circle is able to achieve
With so many willing people,
it's not hard to believe.

Lunch period is the time when the circle will meet.
So grab your food and grab a seat.
The first one was a big success!
Hope to see you at all the rest.

Because you know what they say:
A half hour a week
Brings the peace that we seek.

Click Here to Comment

"The short amount of time spent at lunch was

transformed into a meaningful and dedicated time for all
those who need our tefillot."

Perla Mahikor ('09)

Speaking about the Tehillim Circle

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433