$Account.OrganizationName
Inspiring& Challenging
Teenagers Since 1998

Parshat Chayei Sarah
Friday, Nov. 21, 2008

rpt

Do We Want

Our Children To Make Aliyah?

We have chosen to live in America. Ability to make a living, connection to our family, familiarity with our surroundings, or just plain inertia. However, Aliyah is now in the air. Are we ideologically and emotionally prepared for our children to make their home in a different country?

It's understandable why our children want to make Aliyah. It's the logical conclusion of the way we've raised them. They rejoice at Israel's strides forward and cry at its setbacks. They learn that the only place that you can live a fully Jewish experience is in Israel.

I believe that this generation is answering the call of my rebbe, Rav Aharon Lichtenstein. Rav Aharon said that the problem with American Jewry isn't that they live in America, but that they don't grapple with Aliyah.

The arguments against Aliyah are clear. It's hard to make a living in Israel (especially if you want to live an American lifestyle), it is struggling with overcoming a Levantine work ethic (and a severe case of bad manners), it's in a really bad neighborhood, the divisive political and religious situation, distance from family and friends, etc. That's why many of us are here.

Can we be religious Zionists and oppose our children considering Aliyah? When I mentioned to a friend of mine who is a principal at a New York yeshiva high school that Nefesh B'Nefesh was making a presentation to our seniors this week, he told me that it would never fly in his neighborhood. I believe that this is hypocritical.

May our children grapple with Aliyah and choose to live in the country in which they feel that they will lead the most fulfilling life and be able to contribute the most to our people and humanity.

Yeshiva Highlites will next appear in two weeks on Friday, December 5. Shabbat Shalom and Happy Thanksgiving,

Rabbi Perry Tirschwell

MUST See TV!

Israel Visits Galore!
Click here for the Schedule

Attention 8th Graders
Open House for Parents & Students
Sunday, 11/23 9:30am-12:30pm

Thanksgiving Weekend
Thursday-Sunday, 11/27-30
No School

WYHS Golf Tournament
@ Grande Oaks Golf Club
Monday, November 24

...News Flash...

Mazel Tov!

Shalom Weiss ('01) on his engagement to Teresa Linsner of Mount Kisco

Mr. & Mrs. Erik Blum on the birth of a daughter

WYHS receptionist Marcelle and Albert Bouganim on the marriage of their son Aaron

Our Prayers Are With

Eliyahu ben Zahava Webberly

Yehoshua Tzvi ben Sarah Weiss

Chana bat Devorah

A CALL TO ACTION

WYHS has kicked off its Thanksgiving clothing drive. After watching the unbelievable video featured above, students learned that everyone, even our very own neighbors, needs our help.

The Bye Bye Birdie

Back Story

by Paul Hess ('11)

We caught a glimpse of Mrs. Elizabeth Saddler in the halls of WYHS and were hoping to find out the current juicy details and news in the WYHS drama department! Luckily we were able to catch a moment with her even with her busy schedule of directing this year's girls' musical - Bye Bye Birdie.

She enthusiastically informed us that this year's production will feature a professional musician who "lovingly and painstakingly teaches the cast all the songs and plays piano live for the show." Guest acting coaches, a choreographer, and a music director have also been added into the mix. Mrs. Saddler added that the play will also be performed in the beautiful and historic Crest Theatre. Interestingly, she says this is the largest cast ever assembled to date - featuring 21 actors who are playing over 30 roles.

In her opinion, for the past 13 years, every year the plays get better and better. She let us in on one of the secrets to making the play great: "the veteran cast members learn what it takes to produce a show, and, in turn, they become role models for the incoming girls, instilling in each other a real theatrical work ethic vital to any successful production. Simply, the girls now know what is expected of them and what they need to give in order to produce a winner."

When we asked her why she picked Bye Bye Birdie and why we should come see this play she replied, "Well, this Tony Award winning musical is the ultimate high school show, an outrageously fun satire on the bygone days of the fabulous fifties, complete with poodle skirts and an Elvis- like rock-n-roll star. Hyper-enthusiastic teenagers, exasperated parents, and, of course, a love story that ends happily - these all amount to musical theatre heaven."

Before she left she gave us some insight into why she does what she does and what she gets out of it: "What don't I enjoy? I cherish being able to provide these girls with the opportunity to forge their own relationship with the theatre. Being in a play is incredibly humbling, but, at the same time, the ultimate confidence builder. It allows people of all kinds to band together and create something from scratch - all from hard work, commitment, and individual talents. Seeing it all come together on opening night can be one of the most fulfilling moments a director can have." She also humorously added, "Another perk is that I now have a legitimate reason for singing showtunes all day long."

She departed with a final note of encouragement to all girls to come and see the play in action, as it is sure to be a phenomenon.

Click Here to Comment

L'Shana Habah

B'Yerushalayim

The Seniors Learn About
Nefesh B'Nefesh

by Nonny Gross ('09)

On Wednesday morning, Avi Silverman from Nefesh B'Nefesh--an organization whose goal is to make Aliyah as painless a process as possible for immigrants from America, Canada, and the UK-- gave the 12th grade a moving presentation about making Aliyah.

We were showed a poignant film of one of the recent trips bringing Olim to Israel. Why would high school seniors be learning about Aliyah? Right now, we are all making decisions about where to go for college and Yeshivas, but we give little consideration to our lives past that point. However, the future should be on our minds, because Aliyah, as Mr. Silverman pointed out, is never easy. The obstacles we face in the financial, social, and academic arenas while moving to a new country are only compounded as the years go by and we start our own families.

This point in our lives, therefore, might be the easiest time to make Aliyah. However it is a very important and serious decision, and Aliyah is not for everyone. Nevertheless, as Jews, it is important to remember that Israel is our true homeland.

Nefesh B'Nefesh's passion for helping people realize their dreams of moving to Israel was conveyed to us and we saw the beauty and importance of returning to the Holy Land.

Click Here to Comment

Getting Caught Up in the STORM!!!

Girls Varsity Basketball and Girls Varsity Soccer

Click Here to Comment

"Just being in Eretz Yisrael is so unbelievable!

Every time I see people from WYHS they are really

happy and I think a lot of it stems from everything

we were taught at WYHS."

--Avital Abir ('08)

Yeshiva Highlites Staff

LeeLee Borzak (’10)

Editor-in- Chief

Danielle Wolkowicz ('09) Senior Editor

Josh Kaminetsky(’09)

Layout Editor

Ilana Ben-Ezra ('10) Features Editor

David Petrover(’10)

Technical Editor
Alana Dweck ('09) Photo Editor

Josh Stadlan ('11)

Creative Editor

Aleeza Rubin(’09)

Chief of Correspondents

David Spektor(’10)

Assistant Technical Editor

Michael Feit ('10)

Assistant Technical Editor
Paul Hess ('11) Staff
Claudia Cohen Faculty Advisor

Rabbi Allan Houben

Faculty Advisor
Mrs. Amy Horowitz Proofreader

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School
7902 Montoya Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33433

www.wyhs.net
RPT@wyhs.net

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to rpt@wyhs.net by rpt@wyhs.net.

Weinbaum Yeshiva High School | 7902 Montoya Circle | Boca Raton | FL | 33433